ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

dpc latency checker: interesting if you plan to do serious Audio/video

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
Just found dpc latency checker, a tiny program that tells you whether your current hardware would let you play media without skipping.

There are plenty of ways you can hose your hardware (installed drivers, programs, etc) and produce clipping and skipping.

My laptop right now shows plenty of red bars and I have no idea why. Sound is ok though.

urlwolf:
Update: I have not found the culprit after disabling most of the devices that I could disable. I'm stuck. I wonder if dpc is reliable. If it is, then XP is really bad for real-time stuff, my hardware is not out of this world (dell 1720).

4wd:
Update: I have not found the culprit after disabling most of the devices that I could disable. I'm stuck. I wonder if dpc is reliable. If it is, then XP is really bad for real-time stuff, my hardware is not out of this world (dell 1720).
-urlwolf (September 14, 2008, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Surely the best way is to try and play clips in the encoding you want to test with?

eg. x264, MPEG4, etc

Grorgy:
Its not specifically an XP problem, mine shows all green, mind you I don't  really understand what its measuring but it seems to feel happy about it  ;) (XP home SP3 AMD X2 3800  and the laptop, xp home sp3 celeron 1.5)

yksyks:
To urlwolf:

I also have Dell Inspiron 1720, but with Vista Business, and my latency was occasionally measured about 1 ms, usually .25 ms. However, if you experience crackling sound on this PC, there's a known, but very strange advice:

In Device Manager choose the 802.11n WLAN Mini Card, On the Advanced Tab choose Disable Bands from the list. In the dropdown choose Disable 802.11a.
--- End quote ---

Quite weird, but it really helped in my case. Some interrupt collision, perhaps... More on this at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=2&SiteID=1&PageID=2&PostID=1373474.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version