topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: News Article: YouTube Bans Terrorist Videos  (Read 4227 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
News Article: YouTube Bans Terrorist Videos
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:11 AM »
YouTube has banned videos 'Intended to Incite Violence or Encourage Dangerous, Illegal Activities'.

Screenshot - 14_09_2008 , 8_13_03 PM_thumb.png

We should all feel safer now that Google's YouTube has unveiled new guidelines that will not tolerate uploaded videos "intended to incite violence or encourage dangerous, illegal activities that have an inherent risk of serious physical harm or death."

Viewers of the popular video sharing site instead will have to use Google's search engine to find them elsewhere. Or, better yet, just turn on the boob tube and click onto any broadcast or cable network.

Full Story

Ehtyar.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: News Article: YouTube Bans Terrorist Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:10 AM »
Hmm.

While I definitely don't want to see terrorist propaganda available on the net, this could be a slippery 1984 slope. Government opposition could end up falling under this classification. And are they going to ban stuff like DIY JackAss videos? - those definitely have an inherent risk of physical harm, or even death.
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:57 AM »
I'm with f0dder, this could quickly end up in "censorship" of so many kinds. Also, it has been proven that the definition of "terrorism" isn't exactly absolute...
I'm not sure where I stand on this. But I might stand on the "this is wrong" field. After all, like the quote mentions, you only have to google for 10 minutes to find the material we're talking about.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:30 AM »
terrorist propaganda available on the net, this could be a slippery 1984 slope. Government opposition could end up falling under this classification. And are they going to ban stuff like DIY JackAss videos? - those definitely have an inherent risk
Funny, I never liked that show, but that's the first place I went with this also ... e.g. Who's definition of "Dangerous" is to be used?

Orwellien this is indeed.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57 PM »
While I definitely don't want to see terrorist propaganda available on the net, this could be a slippery 1984 slope.

I do. We need more coverage in the mainstream media and other sources of video, etc. to show how dangerous these people really are and how many of them there really are.

I'm trying to keep this from becoming political here, but all the time the leaders of Iraq will have big rallies saying how they're going to destroy Israel and the "Great Satan" (USA) and the next week come to USA and talk with President Bush saying how they don't want nuclear warheads and they want peace etc.

But the media never shows us those videos of thousands and thousands of people cheering and chanting and praising the idea of destroying the "Infidels" Israel and USA.

It's like Hitler and his rallies and we're just pretending that it's not happening.

Oops, there goes that guy's law. :-[

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Does this mean clips from Rambo will be banned too?  :o