ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vuln. Alert: Malformed URLs Crash Acrobat 9

(1/5) > >>

Ehtyar:
Adobe Acrobat can suffer a denial of service or crash after being served a malformed URL.

Certain URLs can cause Adobe Acrobat 9 to suffer a denial of service or crash, says a researcher.

According to an alert from the SecuriTeam mailing list, "a vulnerability in Adobe Acrobat 9 allow attackers to cause the program to crash by providing it with a malformed URL."

--- End quote ---

Full Story

Ehtyar.

mouser:
Um.. what *doesn't* cause adobe acrobat to crash?  :P

Josh:
Are you kidding mousey? Acrobat is one of the BETTER applications I use. People will continue to complain that it is "bloated" but what does that really mean in this day and age? They add features which someone somewhere HAS requested and incorporate it into the bigger picture. That said, Adobe Acrobat is far easier to use and works better than most PDF solutions I have used to include BlueBeam.

jgpaiva:
Yeah, acrobat doesn't handle urls very well, and I hate the "adobe speedup", or whatever it's called.
But other than that, I agree with Josh, it's a great program, the best pdf reader I've tried - that's for sure.

Stoic Joker:
Um.. what *doesn't* cause adobe acrobat to crash?  :P
-mouser (September 14, 2008, 07:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
ROFL - Amen!

I'm with you on this one Acrobat is a regular nightmare for IT departments. Sure the original PDF (Portable Document Format) open on any platform was a delightfully handy idea, but it's become too many thing to too many people at this point as 90% if its "Features" are nothing more than pointless, useless, bloated weight which drag down the app, the browser, and the machine it's (trying) to run on. It has become precisely the type of Swiss Army Knife type of application that I abhor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version