ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You might want to skip the whole Blu-Ray generation

<< < (5/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I would think that a few VMWare/VirtualPC/VirtualBox OS images on a HDD would be a more space efficient method rather than cluttering up your place with lot's of archaic hardware, (what am I saying :redface: ).
-4wd (September 17, 2008, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming that Virtual Disc formats don't change and the software indefinitely supports old operating systems! What is going to happen when new versions of Windows/Linux etc. drop support for PATA and ATAPI devices - will VMWare etc. keep supporting them forever? Doubt it very much!

wreckedcarzz:
SSD/flash media seems to be the new way to backup small amounts of data (unless you fork out the cash for one of those humongous flash drives). I use an external USB hard drive for most of my stuff, with a complete set of setup files ready on command for those "60 minute" reformats. ;D

f0dder:
Flash media is too small for many kinds of backup - and the USB connected devices as well as most flash card media are too slow as well. OK for syncing a handful of documents and source code, but not for automated and regular several-gigabyte backups :)

Nothing really beats a local fileserver with mirrored disks on a gigabit connection - and, for extra security, some 2nd level of backup that preferably goes out-house (whether online or manually secure external disk, tapes, whatever).

I still personally need to set up a proper backup scheme :-[ :-[ :-[. I do have the aforementioned fileserver, but I haven't found a backup program that pleases me :(

Shades:
@f0dder:

It is very likely that you heard of and/or maybe even tried this one, but is Bacula not the right solution for you?

Using it here and although it is a b*tch to setup, but after that it's as reliable as the Linux distro you are using to run it (CentOS 4.x in my case). 

4wd:
I would think that a few VMWare/VirtualPC/VirtualBox OS images on a HDD would be a more space efficient method rather than cluttering up your place with lot's of archaic hardware, (what am I saying :redface: ).
-4wd (September 17, 2008, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming that Virtual Disc formats don't change and the software indefinitely supports old operating systems! What is going to happen when new versions of Windows/Linux etc. drop support for PATA and ATAPI devices - will VMWare etc. keep supporting them forever? Doubt it very much!
-Carol Haynes (September 17, 2008, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just said on a HDD, not that it was PATA/SATA/SCSI/Fibre Channel/etc but personally I would use SCSI if it's that much of an issue, (AFAIK, all recent invocations of SCSI are still backward compatible with the original SCSI spec requiring only an adapter to connect to a current host - the drives are also more robust than normal HDDs).

And logically, if you are going to keep a HDD with Virtual systems you would install a base OS on it along with the Virtual Host software.  eg. Ubuntu with VirtualBox plus your virtual systems.
So it doesn't matter if later versions of [insert virtual host here] don't understand earlier virtual drive formats.

For that matter, just partition the HDD, install a boot manager and as many OS's as you want.  Then you can just image it from one HDD to the next when keeping up with interfaces becomes too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version