ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You might want to skip the whole Blu-Ray generation

(1/6) > >>

zridling:
Blu-Ray, I hardly knew ya; thank goodness I never bought one!

Samsung: Blu-ray has 5 Years Left, OLED HD on the Way:

Samsung has said that it sees the Blu-ray format only lasting a further 5 years before it is replaced by another format or technology. "I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10", Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told Pocket-lint in an interview.

Ehtyar:
Very interesting, thank you zridling.

Ehtyar.

Deozaan:
I disagree. Even though Blu-Ray is the "current-gen" optical media format, I think DVD is still the most widely used media, perhaps even CD as well.

So it may only be 5-10 years before the OLED HD or whatever other format that replaces Blu-Ray is available, but I think Blu-Ray itself will probably at that point be where DVD is now.

jgpaiva:
My big dilemma: On what storage medium should I store my [long-term] data, since it's perpetually being replaced?
-zridling (September 14, 2008, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd say in none :) Either store it in a serious format (like catastrophe-resistent tapes! :D) or in an hdd, after all, they're almost at the same price per GB (if not even lower!) and they'll never go out of style.
Actually, on the other hand, with the update of the data interfaces (ide/sata/sata II/e-sata/jump-through-hoops-sata/etc), you probably can't keep that one either. Just go for the tapes :P

housetier:
My big dilemma: On what storage medium should I store my [long-term] data, since it's perpetually being replaced?
-zridling (September 14, 2008, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well paper has been around for a couple centuries, it might get a few more :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version