ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

The GodFather - Audio File Manager with Scripting

<< < (5/7) > >>

superboyac:
Argh!  I was trying my best to justify my devotion to Tag & Rename...
OK, I'm going to have to give this program a more in depth try.  Do you think it can do what I'm asking for automatically?  That is, whenever an album has filenames longer than the cd/dvd standard (whatever that is) then it will shorten the album name in the filename to it's acronym ("Ropin the Wind" becomes "RTW").  If it can do that, then I will probably have to reconsider my audio renaming procedure...thanks for the reviews.

mouser:
let's not forget that elsewhere on this forum there have been extremely rave reviews for another freeware mp3 tag tool, mp3tag:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1009.0

rail:
I've been using TGF for a while now and I have to say, after somewhat of a steep learning curve and some adjustments as to how the program connects to Allmusic, I really like this program. I was able to convert all my music files to mp3's and place them into one location on my hard drive alphabetized by artist name. So that if if want to view info on Bob Dylan I can go to the folder named "B" open it and view all artists with first names starting with "B" followed by the album name. Now as I add music to the library I have MMJB and Winamp set up to synchronize with the library in TGF to keep my music updated for play. Another feature that I really like is being able to connect to Allmusic, copy all the necessary tag info and then update the files. I can then use the actual album cover art to later create a  professional looking CD case label.
This is a very nice program. I highly recommend it to anyone who is serious about really organizing their music files.

Hirudin:
Do you think it can do what I'm asking for automatically?  That is, whenever an album has filenames longer than the cd/dvd standard (whatever that is) then it will shorten the album name in the filename to it's acronym ("Ropin the Wind" becomes "RTW").  If it can do that, then I will probably have to reconsider my audio renaming procedure...thanks for the reviews.
-superboyac (December 21, 2005, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
As far as I know it doesn't have that feature built in, but it is something you could do with a script. You could have it check the length of the album tag, if it's over 30 characters you could have it search for spaces and only keep the letters imediately following them.

If you don't want to make a script yourself, jtclipper (the author of The GodFather), or maybe someone else, will usually write scripts if they're easy/short enough and if people ask for them nicely.

superboyac:
So, I keep going back to TGF and checking it out.  Here are some of my comments...and I am comapring it to Tag&Rename since that is my favorite right now:

--There isn't a good preview screen to see the previews of your changes that you are making.  HOWEVER, I will admit that TGF gets around that by having this unique update system where the changes don't actually get applied until you hit the update button.

--Selecting which files you want to work with doesn't seem to be easy.  T&R has these 4 buttons, select all, select none, select highlighed, deselect all.  These come in very handy when working in a large jumbled directory with a bunch of albums just dumped in there.

--Using allmusic or amazon to download album information seems to be a bit involved.

TGF is definitely more powerful than T&R, but I feel like it is more complicated than it has to be and/or it's user interface is not as polished (I'm not exactly sure which applies).  Another thing I'm not sure of is if I'm understanding who TGF is designed for.  Is it for people who just want to rename their audio files, or is it for something more?  Like I said, my audio files are all dumped into one common directory, one big mess, and I use T&R to rename the albums one by one, and then I move them to their appropriate place.  I guess I can use TGF to save me a step and automatically move my files once I'm done renaming, but T&R can do that also, and I actually don't want to move it right away anyway.  Anyway, I guess I'm just struggling with the fact that I know that TGF is a very powerful program, but I just see how it makes anything any easier for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version