topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

How should we treat this thread?

Spam - delete it and ban spammers.
Spam - just delete it.
Suspicious - lock it.
Get a drink and calm down Carol.
What's spam?

Last post Author Topic: Magic Jack Phone ?  (Read 42368 times)

stansrailpix

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Stans Railpix : A RailPhoto Gallery
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Magic Jack Phone ?
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:43 AM »
I have seen this device called  MagicJack.  It looks like a big USB drive and they claim it can be used on any computer with a broadband connection.  It costs $40 for the first year, and $19.95 a year after that. When you use it a small panel pops up on the screen, with an ad on the left side.

Has anyone tried this new VOIP service?
                                                              Regards,
                                                                             Stan
Stans Railpix : A Free RailPhoto Gallery  !   http://www.trainweb.org/railpix

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Magic Jack Phone ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 01:54 AM »
I thought it was a compete scam, but then a cousin of mine told me that he has been using it and it's great. However I can't vouch for it personally.

Jim

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:49 AM »
The advertisement style certainly makes it look like a scam.
However it was reviewed positively several times.

My problem is that seems to require running a PC all day and night ?  (wasting tons of energy).
It is possible to plug something similar into the network directly?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:24 PM »
The advertisement style certainly makes it look like a scam.
However it was reviewed positively several times.

My problem is that seems to require running a PC all day and night ?  (wasting tons of energy).
It is possible to plug something similar into the network directly?

I don't know, but I do have a PC running around the clock - I have a surveillance camera system that is accessible via the Internet going to/through it. So that wouldn't be an issue here. Actually I think a lot more people have their computers always on nowadays with broadband connections, right or wrong though that may be.

Thanks!

Jim

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:55 PM »
I don't see why the computer would need to run all day. My brother has MagicJack. It's just a little usb device that you plug in to your computer, and then you can make calls. I guess the only reason you would have to leave your computer turned on all the time is if you are stupid and ditch your home phone service to use this instead. I wouldn't recommend using any voip service as your main service, especially if you have suddenlink! suddenlink has problems with randomly being slower then dial-up (BAD for voip), and I also have problems with randomly loosing my internet connection completely. I guess that is the only reason you would need to leave your computer on at all times with this. BUT anyways, like I said, my brother has MagicJack, and he says it works perfectly.
[Insert really cool signature here]

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:17 PM »
I don't see why the computer would need to run all day. My brother has MagicJack. It's just a little usb device that you plug in to your computer, and then you can make calls. I guess the only reason you would have to leave your computer turned on all the time is if you are stupid and ditch your home phone service to use this instead. I wouldn't recommend using any voip service as your main service, especially if you have suddenlink! suddenlink has problems with randomly being slower then dial-up (BAD for voip), and I also have problems with randomly loosing my internet connection completely. I guess that is the only reason you would need to leave your computer on at all times with this. BUT anyways, like I said, my brother has MagicJack, and he says it works perfectly.

I use VoIP phone service and ditched my home phone service -- why do you call me "stupid"? A little arrogant, or possibly ignorant, methinks!

I have two separate wireless mobile phone accounts to fall back on. I used Vonage for 3 years and then switched to Comcast's VoIP service last year. I'll be moving back to Vonage, however, when the Comcast contract expires - Vonage has a much better service IMO.

To be perfectly honest, my Vonage line was OOS exactly two times for a total of 45 minutes in three years, which is significantly more reliable than Verizon's POTS line was.  My Verizon line always had static and was down about a dozen times a year, sometimes for days at a time. I feel stupid for having relied on it for two years after Vonage service was available here!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Ruh-roh!  Take a look at their Terms of Service before jumping in fat, happy, and unsuspecting. I don't like it much!

[attach=#1][/attach]

[attach=#2][/attach]

BTW, no easy way to get to the TOS page from their site from what I could see.

Jim

EDIT:  Also look at Boing Boing's review. It appears that Cory doesn't much like magicJack either!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:50 PM by J-Mac »

Pabel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 04:53 PM »

I'm with Suddenlink and would be happy to assist with investigating a fix to your issues.  Please feel free to email directly at company HQ:  [email protected].

tiredoldman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:47 PM »
I have been using Magic Jack for over 3 mos. now, And make 5 calls daily from Calif. to LA. and Miss. I have gotten no complaints from MagicJack.
Yes, it costs $47. for my first hook up, including the first year.
I have had no problems what so ever with it other than NO LOCAL NUMBER for my hometown. :-[
You CAN get a number almost anywhere even if don't live in that state.
My old AT&T bill was over 135.00 a month.
My AT&T bill has now dropped to less than $50. a month including the DSL.
I had to keep the local call and DSL, otherwise, all else goes Through Majic Jack.
It does not work with Satellite DSL, but does work with most DSL and wireless routers.
I use my old netgear for wireless and works fine.
I have started tell folks about it, and no, I don't get anything for it, even tho MagicJack does pay "New Customer Bounty's"
I recommend anyone to check this out and give it a try ! For the 50.00, I think you may just like it.

johna1940

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 11:39 PM »
I hav3e the magicjack and it is great. I kept my local number though. Using Magicjack, my long distance bill this month was $0.00. If you buy it do not use it to replace your other phone though. Use it for long distance only.

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:18 PM »
I'd been using a USB Skype-Linksys phone for about half of my long distance, but I couldn't get the confidence to drop my long distance land-line service until I got Magicjack.  Now I can rely on either, depending on where in the apartment I am.  I have the magicjack plugged into a splitter, and then a normal house phone and normal cordless phone.

It does have a commercial section on it's interface, but no pop-ups or junk emails, and I just minimize to my tray.  It's saving me $6.75 a month plus all the long distance charges I used to get charged.  I don't have any mobile/cell phones, so I'm keeping my local land line, but it's working perfect on my DSL connection.  I don't see the need for leaving a computer on if you turn off your cell phone, or don't answer emergency calls in the middle of the night.

A big caveat, if you go on the road with your laptop and use wireless or broadband in your hotel room, or at friends, bring the Magicjack and use any phone with a normal wire, or bring a headset.  You don't need to use your cell phone every time.  You have a phone number that follows you, and you're right at your computer where you should be when doing most of your business.  You get caller ID and voicemail for the yearly fee of $20.

I recommended this one.

Follow-up: As of about 2/2009 I've dropped my land-line completely.
Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:59 AM by mateek »

larry50

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 02:39 PM »
I've been using it for quite a few months now, and I love it. I had my doubts about it at first, but it worked better than I ever thought possible. When I have had a couple of questions, you can get them answered online, though it is kind of hard to find out where that can be done at the first time you try to use the chat help.

olamoree

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 09:02 PM »
I got MagicJack in Jan 08 for US$19.95 for the dongle and US$19.95 for the first year of service.  In a word, GREAT.  $20 a year for unlimited calling to and in the US and Canada is a no-brainer.... you can recover that investment in the First Week!   I live in Costa Rica and plug in my MJ to my DSL enabled (512/256) computer and with my Florida number, call to where I like in the US and Canada whenever I like and for as long as I like... isn't that a no-brainer too?  You DON'T have to leave your computer on 24/7... incoming calls ring 4 times (currently, that can't be changed) and then it goes to VoiceMail... your caller leaves the message, MJ sends you an email about the message with attached audio file and you open the file and play it!  You DON'T need to go to your VoiceMail.  GOM Player does it well as does WMP... another no-brainer?  Calls to my AC305 Florida number ring HERE in Costa Rica, I answer the phone and have excellent audio.  I could be in Timbucktoo and the same would happen.  I have an old cordless phone plugged into it with good batteries and can have it anywhere in the house to receive and make calls.

International calling:  It was difficult to deposit the US$10 to my account but eventually it "took".  I saw in their initial announcement that AT&T was providing their long distance service but that announcement was quickly removed and now just mentions "the best quality International Provider in the world"... would that be AT&T?  However, once with an international credit, calls to Europe, South America, Middle East, etc. are about 30% cheaper than Skype and the voice quality is like "next door".    

The EULA is not draconian, just reflects the providers business sense and protects them from abuse as the service is offered for folks like you and me, not some corporate entity that will be calling 24/7.  I have not seen any attempts to "call home" and my Comodo suite doesn't pop up using it and a-squared does indicate some low risk activity but mostly related to MJ checking to see if it is connected and working.  If you feel it is invasive to your privacy, then don't use it for illegal activities but for personal communications, who cares if you are being profiled?  And no, I don't get any spam from them or any of their possible related activities.  In fact, I use Gmail so I don't get spam in my InBox anyway.

I acquired a "tiny" phone, Supra-Phone M6, cut the RJ-11 cord down to 8 inches and resoldered it to the pc board, and with my laptop connected to free WiFi in most airports, I can while away the waiting time chatting on MagicJack.  No, I have no MJ afiliation except that I am a more-than-satisfied customer... my US$40 investment is good for a year... that US$40 restaurant meal you had last night has already turned to crap.

Cons:  Once a month or so I get a call dropped and have to redial.  It was problematic to buy US$10 of international call time... needed "live aid" and a week wait.

Why not give it a try?

Ali

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Just a reminder -- some people have warned us that magic jack occasionally employs people to post on forums praising their product.

Not accusing anyone of doing this just reminding anyone thinking of doing such a thing here for any product, that it's the fastest way to develop a very bad reputation for your product and is definitely not the thing to do on this forum.

compn

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 11:08 PM »
my grandmother bought one of these and asked me to hook it up.
it says "Windows and Apple Mac" supported on the package.
yet it fails to say Intel Mac ONLY (until you get to the website).

remember kids, there are two types of processors in apple computers, ppc and x86 (aka intel-mac). always be sure to label or support both properly.

rtpilot

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:37 PM »
I've been using MJ for 6 months. I have one at home and one at work. I dropped an extra line at work and use MJ for long distance. I save about $60 a month. Haven't dropped the home phone. Just use it as an extra line. May drop Long distance on Verizon and use MJ instead. Haven't seen any ads on the MJ window
either. Just notices about additional service from MJ.   :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Sorry this is getting silly -the number of first and only posts in this thread saying how wonderful this product is is getting ridiculous.

Shall we lock or even delete this thread to stop further spamming? I have added a poll to this thread - tell us what you think!

If we have a sudden influx of genuine new posters I apologise for my paranoia but this does all look very suspicious and if there is spamming going on here we should say it loud and clear - plus a clear AVOID MAGIC JACK PHONE for such shoddy practices.

Jakeman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 01:17 AM »
This seemed, at first, to be one of those "too good to be true" products to stay away from, but I'd been trying to find a way to eliminate the long distance fee from my phone bill ($20/mo.) without causing a lot of inconvenience, and this was one of the possible options.  Can't remember where I'd first read about it online, but the link led me to a free 30 day trial offer that I felt safe checking out as it would only cost me the return shipping if I didn't want to keep it.  Arrived within 2 days and was easy to set up; I even found a good 2.4 GHz cordless phone on sale to hook up to it - had to make sure it worked throughout my home.  I got a phone number with my area code which shows up on Caller IDs, but without my name, which is ok. 

Seems to work just fine, but the jury is still out, and until I'm certain of its reliability I'll keep the long distance service with the phone company.  I've been using it occasionally for the past 3 months, and need to make sure it'll work with a new wireless router that I just picked up, but haven't yet installed. 

My primary concern was that it kept causing my computer to reboot at least once whenever I first turned it on, but that was apparently resolved once I moved a few start-up programs into the delayed startup category provided by WinPatrol. 

Yes, you do need to keep the PC on all the time if you plan on using it as a total phone alternative, and I think that that's what the developers had in mind, so you're not warned about the reboot issue.  I intend to use it solely for long distance calls, and if I can continue to make it work, that will save me a lot of money in the future.

I am also concerned about a reported lack of customer service and that alone may be the deal-breaker.  At this point, if I so choose, getting a refund would prove difficult, though certainly not impossible; I'll get my money's worth regardless, and I don't have to renew unless I want to.

While this might eventually become the incredible product it's hyped-up to be, approach it as you would a "beta" offering.  Here are a few places to see the problems that others have encountered and endured with magicJack - you'll have to sort the bs from the truth yourself, but it's a good starting point:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/magicjack-a40340.html
http://iripoff.com/872/MagicJack.com_-_False_Advertising.html
http://magic-jack.pissedconsumer.com/

If you decide to pursue this, even if it's the 30 day trial, just make sure to use a major bank credit card, and definitely not a debit card!

Hope this was helpful...

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Meh! Don't suppose MajicJack has PCMag staff in their pockets do you? ;D

http://www.pcmag.com...,2817,2250246,00.asp

Then again the only reason I read PCMag is because Dvorak's still has his page(s).

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 11:45 PM »
Carol, I agree, lets delete this thread. Most of these posts appear to solely be just to bolster the product when the user has no intent on returning unless this thread is updated (Which is when most of these users returned according to their profiles). I say move this to a hidden forum so we don't aide a spamming product in boosting its rating in google.

capture

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 12:45 AM »
I've had MagicJack since last April. It was recommended to me by a long-time friend who works as an "astronaut-talkie" at NASA. He'd been using Vonage, and after a couple of months using MagicJack, he dumped Vonage. No one is spamming here, merely replying to the post question about Magic Jack. This is NOT an affiliate program, so no one has anything to gain by giving positive feedback.

I'm a senior, and I'm a paid lifetime member of Donation Coder. I don't post very much because I'm real busy creating tutorial videos for my hosting company. I use MJ as my ONLY phone because of the low cost. I don't get, nor do I make a whole lot of phone calls. But being able to call my boss in San Antonio, and my buss. partner in Florida - from Canada, is a huge saving for me. Yes, I had to get a US phone number, but my local friends call me and hang up after two rings. I have the caller ID set up so I know who called, and I call them right back.... no cost to me or them.

I have no complaints, and NO this is not a spam post, just MHHO.... K?

Thanks,
Claire P.
Chemainus, BC Canada

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 02:30 AM »
K!

Sorry Claire. I don’t think anyone meant any ill will toward valid DC members. But take a look above and you will see a number of posters who joined just to post their "testimonial" here - no other interest in the site. Plus this product has a well-known reputation of what is called "astro-turfing", which is basically spamming forums wherever a thread mentioning the product is found. Search Google and you will find many such threads. Most of the spamming is done, or instigated, by resellers of the product.

Odd that you suddenly decided to come out of your busy "hibernation" to post here too, BTW. What woke you up? Did you happen to see a comment about this thread elsewhere by any chance? I'm just curious.

Jim

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I think most of the opinions on this thread are genuine happy customers (quite a few are donating members, and others long-time members), so I think this thread should be kept. Nevertheless, it's sad to know a company uses this kind of techniques to promote their product..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 06:54 PM »
It's just strange for people to sign up to the forum just to say something good about Magic Jack. I don't question the opinion of DC Members who have been around for a while, but it definitely looks fishy when someone has just signed up to the forum and made only the 1 post praising Magic Jack.

But so far the only complaint I've heard about Magic Jack is that they may have unethical promotional practices.

Gman75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 02:28 PM »
As a new member and at the risk of sounding like a shill for MJ I have to pipe in here. I've had MJ for about 5 months and am pretty happy with it. In general it works well and I would consider chucking my land line if they ever get number portability.  Right now I'm primarily using it to make long distance calls running it off an HP thin client (5 watts all solid state) connected to a Panasonic multi handset system or a laptop using a bluetooth headset or small hospital phone when traveling. The only performance issues I've had are some intermittent echoing which has subsided in recent months (said to be a problem with their servers) and the occasional hang on the host machine which may not be an MJ problem. There is an active non official MJ support web site http://www.magicjacksupport.com which speaks volumes for the lack of useful official support.