ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome - What Will It Take

<< < (3/7) > >>

thorazine74:
I believe the reason for having silent automatic updates is because that way Google can manage Chrome as just another "web service" like the rest of their services, and not having to deal with the fact that, along time, not all users will install the latest update, so they will have to tailor their services for different versions running at the same time (for instance, they will release a new version of gmail that will rely on some new feature of Google Chrome v2.0; if there is users still using Google Crome v1.9, they will not be able to use that new feature or maybe it will crash the browser, or cause problems to their Gmail servers...).

jgpaiva:
thorazine74: I don't think the problem discussed is with chrome having automatic updates, but with the way they are implemented.
You see, there could be automatic updates, but there should be an option to disable (which IIRC there isn't) and they should only be executed as a part of the program itself (for example when you open chrome, or something like that) and NEVER as a windows task.
Not only is it a way of "hiding" the auto updates (it took me a while to figure how to disable it in Vista, it's way stranger than in XP), it also generates web traffic that people aren't expecting (imagine if you're on a mobile connection and the updater checks for updates every 10 seconds) because they don't have the browser open.

Paul Keith:
The key here is to look for Chrome's second main beta release. Otherwise we're still arguing the same points on the same old beta Chrome.

cmpm:
No this is about the latest beta and the first.
These tactics were more built into the first.
Obviously since it updated on it's own.

I don't think it is a 'fix' for anything especially since the second beta automatically updated itself without user intervention or knowledge.

It was already in the first beta and is now coming to light and attention.

Paul Keith:
Oh, I didn't know there was a second beta out already. I meant that this is something that can only be complained about when Chrome releases it's second main update (containing all the new features) because at this point, we're just playing the repeat game of saying Google should have done this and that. Well they didn't and the question has been raised so now it's up to them to change it. Everything else should just be a matter of how long they listen to the feedback and not much time have passed to really complain about them from this perspective.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version