ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

A bug ?

(1/2) > >>

dpierron:
Hello !
First, bravo for a great idea and a fine program, and thanks for making it free !
However, I think I may have run into a bug :
I start the program (pause key), make a search (for a program I want to run) then press the corresponding number key.
This is the normal procedure, and everything works as advertised (and fast, too ;o)
But, when the program is launched (slowly), my (slow) hard drive keeps working until I press pause to bring back F&RR and pause again to make it go away.
I found out that the reason the programs are slow to launch is that F&RR uses the disk even when it has finished searching, when a program is run.
It does this even when I manually stop the search before launching the program (using the ESC key).
Feel free to contact me if you need more details, or need help testing for corrections : dpierron(roundy thing almost like a a)gmail.com !

David.
http://www.davidsoft.org

mouser:
once you launch a program, F+R should by default not just stop searching but go away completely into tray, and NOT be doing any more searching..

also if you hit escape it should stop all searching and disk access.

can you shed any more clues into the phenomena.. does it always happen or only with certain programs?

dpierron:
Hey, you were fast on this one  :Thmbsup:
1) when I run a program using F&RR, it does go away in tray when I press a number key, but it doesn't stop searching (or at least using the disk) ; moreover, if it DID stop using the disk before i pressed a key (e.g. I pressed ESC, so it stopped, and then I press a number key), it starts using the disk again.
I don't know if I'm very clear, I'm not a natural English speaker  ;)
The phenomena always happens, whatever the program launched.
I attached screenshots of Sysinternal's Process Explorer window showing the IO delta generated by F&RR, along with comments.

mouser:
what a nice post - and i learned something new about process explorer that will be quite useful..  :up:

that is really strange behavior - i assure you it shouldn't continue searching after it launches an app..

this is great timing because im just starting a major round of updates for F+R version 2 this weekend i'll try to look into this and see if i can figure out what might be doing this right away.

i do have a couple things you could test:
if you hit escape after it shows notepad then it stops search.  if you then right click on notepad and say "launch and stay open", can you see if the disk usage resumes then as well?

sysinternals also makes a util called FileMon which shows exactly what file access is taking place, i wonder if that would yield some insight..

mouser:
cool cat picture on your site btw!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version