topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Iconshock's Community Site  (Read 6786 times)

svc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Iconshock's Community Site
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Hello, My name is Susana and I'm part of the Iconshock team. We've updated our community site and I wanted to invite you to be part of it. Our community site is focused on giving free stock icons with a great quality to anyone who's developing an application or designing a website. I would love that you make part of this initiative in order to keep all the good free icons coming.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:30 PM by svc »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Iconshock's Community Site
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:15 PM »
i've removed the affilliate links since we don't allow that and moved the post to the announce your stuff section, but otherwise it's fine.

svc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 05:32 PM »
It's OK, I re-modified the links since you deleted a part of the address. The code was to track which visitors come from which websites but it's OK if I can't put it :)

I hope you visit our community and leave your comments.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:52 PM »
I have been a member for awhile. (I have at least 10 gigs of their icons on my other computer.)

Yes, it is true that it is a time consuming pain in the butt to trade icons to get the sets you want, rather than them just releasing all the sets to everyone that is a member.

There is nothing social about it...just a lot of begging & hunting for people to trade with.

But their icons are great. The art work is absolutely beautiful! And they give away vectors for them too, so there is no limit to you can do with them.

svc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:53 AM »
The swapping system we used to use was terrible, but with the new community is quite easy to get them. You get 100 points by login in each day and each stocks cost you 50 points, so it won't take as longo to get the icons. We're also trying to improve the community to be more than just a bunch of people swaping icons, but a place where we can discuss about topics of general interest.

Do you think it would be better to have one part for swapping, and one part for discussing?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Why not just give everyone the icons every week and let them download them without silly stuff?

This points and swapping thing is really a pain. I don't see any reason why when I log in that I should have disabled icon downloads until I play some swapping/point gathering game.

You either want me to have the icons or you don't. And if you do, then don't make me play silly pointless games.

Maybe a newsletter announcing the latest sets to download, and if you want general discussions, introduce them in the newsletter and encourage participation. Maybe set up some sort of forum where people can provide helpful info on working with the vectors and other art related stuff. Maybe some web design stuff too.

But the swapping game and collecting points isn't fun. It already takes a long time to download the icons, since you only allow one download at a time and you can't use a download manager to schedule and automate it. I am on slow dialup right now, and if I get disconnected, I have to start all over again. That's not fun either. Why make it take even longer with stupid games?

The only reason why I have put up with the stupid stuff for so long is because you really do have good quality artwork.

In other words...I really love your product, but I hate your site.

Oh, and if you want to encourage more people to buy the icons you have for sale, maybe you could sell individual icons too. Some people don't want an expensive full set and being able to buy just the ones we want or need would be awesome. (you could even feature a few in the newsletters) There are a few I certainly would buy if they were offered individually, but as a huge set I can't afford them.

svc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26 PM »
We do have a blog where the new icons released are posted (http://blog.iconshock.com).
Regarding the swapping thing.. It's a way to encourage people to visit us... I understand some people don't have access to high speed connections, but the download would be slower if the icons were available to everyone, since more simultaneous downloads will be happening on the site.
BTW, individual icons are available for sale. You just need to use the contact form and through costumer support we can provide it to you.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:40 PM »
You are already encouraging people to visit you (and keep coming back) by giving stuff away. Maybe you should be doing more to encourage the people that keep coming back for free stuff, to buy the other stuff you have.

Good to hear that individual icons are available for purchase. $129 for a full set in which I only want a single icon is too expensive for me.

Maybe you should post this info on your site, somewhere. I bet you'd make a lot more sales from people that feel the same way I do.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I tried to register at their site, but wasn't allowed to have nick name I can remember - you know "Please enter a valid nick, DonĀ“t use spaces or signs". Spaces, I can do without, but what is it with the signs? Not even a dot is allowed! I skipped registration.