ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

10 Things Your IT Department Won't Tell You

<< < (3/3)

Shades:
The one in the middle?

;)

40hz:
from my experience, corporate IT takes pre-emptive actions and the target audience of the article happened to be members of the corporate circle. so these IT departments would have locked down most of suggested methods even before they were to be tried.-lanux128 (September 09, 2008, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

In many cases yes. But that won't necessarily keep somebody from getting fired just for trying. More and more companies are initiating zero-tolerance policies for IT rules violations. I don't know which would be a sadder story: getting sacked for doing somthing stupid; or getting sacked for trying to do something stupid.

it's must have been a slow day at WSJ's Tech and this article is just meant to create some rustle up discussions among IT cliques. :)

--- End quote ---

Probably more of a rustle in the "middle management" cliques, where the definition of "technically savvy" is a guy who skims PC Magazine once a month.

I doubt WSJ was addressing the IT crowd. Most of them don't read it anyway - unless the company they work for is getting ready for an IPO. Besides, the IT guys are usually up on this stuff months before the general press catches wind of it. Especially if they have a high school age child in the house! ;D

40hz:
This discussion in all well and good, but who among you is going to help me work out which of my 11 new toolbars will eradicate this virus?
-cranioscopical (September 09, 2008, 09:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Umm...there's a 12th toolbar you can download that will fix that. Just web over to www.imnotamalwaresite-really.ru and grab your free copy of SexyTeens AntiVirus Toolbar Pro. ;D

cmpm:
Our work computers are locked down pretty tight.
Can't get much, although there are ways around things.
But this would get you fired most likely.

It's happened more then once and they are very serious about it.
They can pick up on your activities and print out each click and keystroke for at least the past 30 days.

Usually alerted by a virus alert that the Tech Department will pick up from any computer or laptop on the system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version