topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Pegasus Mail?  (Read 44163 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pegasus Mail?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Archive moves your email into a new file according to the dates you specify. The new file will have the same folder structure as your personal folders.

Example: Suppose you want to archive your data by year and you current folder contains emails from 1999-2006.

File > Archive lets you create a new archive so make a new PST file called Archive99, and then allow archive to send all emails dated before 1st January 2000.

Do the same for 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and keep all your 2006 mail in the current Personal Folders PST file.

Now you have 8 PST files with emails sorted by year and you can have them all load into Outlook when you start the program.

You can use advanced search etc. on all the emails so you have not lost accessibility but it does mean all your files are small and compact. Also all your archives never have new data written to them so they are unlikly to become fragmented or corrupted by use.

Finally if you decide you really only need access to the last 3 years of email you can close all the early archives to make startup of Outlook quicker. You can still load them again if you need them.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Gotcha. So basically it's actually implemented well and there is no good reason not to use it? :D I think just from past experience I feared any MS "archiving" feature would make my mail not immediately accessible. It even sounds like "put your mail in storage, just don't expect to have access to it" - "Archive". I guess that was my thought process back then anyway. *shrug*

Thanks for the info. :)

- Oshyan

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 11:40 PM »
Yes, this is a very old thread, but it provokes a thought...

One of the reasons I have stayed away from OL (and other email clients) is due to the mail file being in a "proprietary" format.  To me this says if a corruption occurs the mails the file contains are irrecoverable.  If T-Bird fails I can read find/read my mails via any text editor, right?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 03:59 AM »
Thunderbird uses the industry standard mbox format, outlook has its own format yes. However you can manually export folders (such as your inbox) into access, excel, csv and plain text. I've never used it.