ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to get rid of the restart prompt afer win update?

<< < (3/4) > >>

CleverCat:
I figure, if I didn't have the update yesterday, waiting till I shut down and boot up the next day to complete the install is not going to matter!  ;)

Curt:
How to get rid of the restart prompt that keeps cropping up after a windows update ?-tomos (September 11, 2008, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ohh, there are updates for Windows?

Stoic Joker:
Why not just configure Windows Update to: Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

Your not gaining anything by running half the update as the reboot is required to update a system file with the new code. ...So you're still going to be running the same old has a bugg what needs fixed code that you had before running the first part of the update.
-Stoic Joker (September 11, 2008, 01:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do do that - I choose whether to install, but I cant remember now what choice it gives you *
anyways I clicked install this morning without thinking ...

* [edit] does that window keep popping up then (presuming I want to install something) - "please install me" - funny how easy it is (for me :-\ ) to forget this stuff if it's only once a month
-tomos (September 11, 2008, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, no bouncing windows, just a quiet little icon in the system tray. Double click it, hit custom install, and it will display a list of updates it's on about. This allows you to better decide if you need to install them Right Now ... or they can wait. And it's fairly easy to figure out which will actually require a reboot (not all do).

tomos:
wierd,
then when I click install updates (after selecting) it takes an absolute age to update. Again if I remember correctly the first phase is simply download - then there's an install prompt so the delay is with the ms site cause I have fast broadband here
... I need to reboot anyways but waiting for the updates ....

Ohh, there are updates for Windows?
-Curt (September 12, 2008, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D

f0dder:
There's various ways to configure windows update. One is notify only, once is download+notify, and the last is download+autoinstall.

I usually just use winscraper to move the reboot nag-window off-screen + resize it to 1x1 pixel :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version