ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Has the LHC destroyed the world yet?

<< < (2/11) > >>

40hz:
The final irony is that Switzerland - the country that avoids conflict at all costs - would be responsible for world demolition.
-Carol Haynes (September 11, 2008, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

And even more ironic, would in all likelihood find a way to turn it to their advantage. ;D

(BTW: shouldn't that read "avoids the appearance of conflict"?)

app103:
Well, since the world hasn't ended yet, I guess I still have time to finish reading Cosm.

mahesh2k:
LOL... :D

Think of Simple Logic.. ;D
If there is/was chance of such disaster why france & switzerland will allow this experiment to happen in the first place? :D Dont you think they are the first one to die if such thing happen,isnt it? Why they will risk their life just to find out Big-bang? ;) ...

Ah, thanks to europe, no baptist group yet opposed this experiement in the Name of protest for  "Creation of Anti-Matter"... :D...

TPReal:
If there is/was chance of such disaster why france & switzerland will allow this experiment to happen in the first place? :D Dont you think they are the first one to die if such thing happen,isnt it? Why they will risk their life just to find out Big-bang? ;) ...
-mahesh2k (September 11, 2008, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think that scientists are so curious about the Higgs boson that they don't care too much about disasters and other things. And their official statement is that no disaster is possible, of course, so Switzerland and France can feel reassured.

My guess is that they in fact know that creating a by-product in the form of a black hole is very unlikely but possible. But admitting it would be a bye-bye to the LHC experiments and the Higgs boson, so they just keep it a Polichinelle's secret.

And if the disaster really happens, nobody will complain anyway :) Not in Solar System.

TPReal.

mouser:
If the world ends, will we at least have a few minutes to think about how cool it is and watch it end? or will it happen in the blink of an eye and no one gets to appreciate it?

anyone who thinks it would be a terrible shame for the world to end just needs to watch a couple of hours of tv news and you'll be hoping for a black hole to be born.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version