ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

<< < (5/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
J-Mac - I have used both PSP (up to v. 9, I had v. 10 but unistalled it almost instantly) and PhotoShop and I really don't think the learning curve between the two apps is that much different.

The great advantage of Photoshop (apart from being a fantastic app) is the huge number of free tutorials on the internet, loads of sites dedicated to Photoshop, thousands of books on the subject and courses galore. It is expensive but you can get it cheaply by registering as student at a recognised institution (it doesn't have to be long term or full time - just an evening class will do at a recognised college - find a photoshop class!. Do check the local conditions at adobe.com by going to the academic shop for your country) and then buy the academic edition which is identical to the commercial product.

Lutz_:
Photoshop is no doubt powerful - but it is an ergonomic disaster. In this aspect PSP, Photoline, lots of others have many advantages.
This no problem in PS once you have accepted photoshops learning curve and have memorized lots and lots of keyboard shortcuts.

In my eyes, once one has understood the principles of a layer-based image editor and how to do the basics for example in PSP, it is not a problem to reproduce photoshop tutorials in PSP, Photoline, etc.  - lots of procedures are quite bit easier there actually.  This applies to a majority of tutorials, of course not to the one dealing with exclusive PS features which tend to be more esoteric.

J-Mac - I have used both PSP (up to v. 9, I had v. 10 but unistalled it almost instantly) and PhotoShop and I really don't think the learning curve between the two apps is that much different.

The great advantage of Photoshop (apart from being a fantastic app) is the huge number of free tutorials on the internet, loads of sites dedicated to Photoshop, thousands of books on the subject and courses galore. It is expensive but you can get it cheaply by registering as student at a recognised institution (it doesn't have to be long term or full time - just an evening class will do at a recognised college - find a photoshop class!. Do check the local conditions at adobe.com by going to the academic shop for your country) and then buy the academic edition which is identical to the commercial product.
-Carol Haynes (September 13, 2008, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

J-Mac:

-Carol Haynes (September 13, 2008, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carol,

I admit that it was quite a while ago that I tried it. I had a very scaled down "Home" version that came with a photo printer or scanner and naturally it kept nagging me to upgrade to a full version. I downloaded the trial then and had a lot of problems getting the hang of it. About a year or so later I ended up going with Jasc PSP7 (Pretty sure it was 7 then). That was a long time ago - maybe 5 or 6 years.

Since then my Vista notebook I got earlier this year came with Photoshp Elements 6 and Adobe Premier Elements 3(? 4?). That looks nice but I keep all my digital pics on my desktop PC. I did move over a sampling of them to the notebook to try out Elements - and I am so accustomed to PSP that I often find myself "lost" in Elements! Oddly I cannot just have it scan for images or import my library of images. It seems that I must import only a folder at a time. I'd have to study the manual to soo if I'm missing something, but it is not very intuitive if you are familiar with working in Paint Shop Pro for years!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac:
Lutz,

I agree that I could undoubtedly adapt to Photoshop but, yes, I would have a large learning curve.

Jim

Darwin:
Just an update: received an upgrade e-mail from Corel this morning - they're offering the upgrade from PSPP X2 to PSPP X2 Ultimate for $29.99 (CDN or USD). Only mollifies me a tiny amount...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version