ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

<< < (3/6) > >>

CWuestefeld:
When you think Corel Draw and WordPrefect used to be near (or even at) the top of the heap - now they have drifted so far off traget I cannot imagine why anyone would steal some of their products - let alone buy them.
-Carol Haynes (September 10, 2008, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree with your thesis. But in the case of WordPerfect, it was already a dying product before Corel grabbed it. I remember in 1993 using it (v5 something, I think) when it was my employer's standard word processor (MS Office wasn't so entrenched then). The thing was virtually unusable -- rampant leaks forced reboots several times a day, and formatting problems trashed layouts continually. I'm convinced that WP's quality problems killed them, and this made the previous industry leader easy to buy for Corel afterwards.

I'm a longtime PSP user myself. I skipped X, XI was a pig, and the biggest improvement in X2 was the improved startup time -- otherwise, it was more sizzle than steak. Their customer service folks really annoyed me when I tried to report a bug in their .DNG handling, and they wouldn't accept it, telling me that my license didn't entitle me to support -- but I wasn't asking for help, I was trying to help them make the product better.

f0dder:
The only positive aspect of this "release" could be that they might be working on a complete overhaul of the program (which is certainly necessary : 16- bit  imaging,  multi-core compatible, 64-bit OS compatibility) that needs considerably longer than the usual release cycle. ???
Alas, it is Corel, and the only thing certain about Corel is a moronic management. I do not have too many hopes.
-Lutz_ (September 10, 2008, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
PSP8 works just fine under 64bit OSes. It might not be compiled for 64bit, but it doesn't need to (sure, it would let you deal with larger files more smoothly, but the 32bit version does work).

Dormouse:
Amongst many photo/image editing programs, I have PSP8; reviews of new versions have never tempted me towards an upgrade. And I can't see that position changing.

I think WP was only really an industry leader in the last days of DOS (having taken over that position from WordStar). Like the other 'leaders' of that time, it did not transition quickly enough to Windows and was never good enough to catch up with Word when it did. I don't think its demise can be attributed to Corel who paid good money to take over what was already deadware (in the mistaken view that they would do better with a Suite).

Curt:
PS
I retain copyright on both Corel WinZip Pro TextEdtor Plus X3 Ultimate and Corel PaintShop Pro Photo X2 Ultimater.-Darwin (September 09, 2008, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

We will certainly expect these programs to be fully Vistable!  ;)

X1 came out and I stayed away, but won a full copy so installed it. -Darwin (September 09, 2008, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

You actually WON a copy of X1 ? Wow!
I haven't tried PaintShop Pro since 1995, so I totally envy you!!

Beside the problems and the lack of ethics; isn't X2 both stable and The Best ??

Darwin:
Yes - I really like X2.

I entered an online contest for a copy of PSP X1 through a photo mag's site - was VERY surprised when I won it! The worst thing about X1 was the startup time...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version