ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Open DNS is s***ware

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
Deozaan: your problems can't have anything to do with DNS servers, as those are only used for looking up a domain name (www.donationcoder.com) and getting an IP (208.101.58.90) back. Sounds more like there's a problem with your internet connection...

Deozaan:
Deozaan: your problems can't have anything to do with DNS servers, as those are only used for looking up a domain name (www.donationcoder.com) and getting an IP (208.101.58.90) back. Sounds more like there's a problem with your internet connection...
-f0dder (December 31, 2008, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

That can't be possible. The intertubes are flying now that I've made the switch. Either that or it's just one big fat amazing coincidence that everything started working once I turned that off.

f0dder:
-f0dder (December 31, 2008, 07:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
That can't be possible. The intertubes are flying now that I've made the switch. Either that or it's just one big fat amazing coincidence that everything started working once I turned that off.
-Deozaan (December 31, 2008, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Could very well be. Once dns->ip resolving has been done, the nameservers aren't used whatsoever. So if you've been able to start uploading (getting a progress bar etc.), the DNS servers have done their trick, and are then in no way whatsoever going to affect your up- or download speed.

Crappy DNS servers can make your web browsing experience as a whole slower, since there's a lot of DNS lookups happening all the time (your OS does do some caching as well, though). But my guess is that it's a big fat coincidence, from the symptoms you described :)

Deozaan:
Yeah I guess it must have been. :-[ Things are slowing down a bit again. I wonder what the problem is.  :-\

Stoic Joker:
Okay, pardon the old thread resurrection ... but I did grab the newest one I could find. :)

Due to a vacation interrupting client issue, I decided to use OpenDNS as a bit of a hammer dropping maneuver ... to make said client issue go away.

I've been mulling this one over for some time and watching the pro/con discussions with great interest. Given that most LM/browser level resolutions require a separate update, user interaction, and/or physical access to each machine (not to mention resource usage)...a DNS level solution has great appeal to me. It also allows me to manage multiple (disparate) networks quickly, from a single location, and without having to leave my desk (think enterprise level management on a really tight budget).

What I'm wondering is, given that SpyBot Search & Destroy's Inoculation feature has proven to cause great trouble for IE8 performance ... how well does OpenDNS's filtering compare as a replacement for spyBot's??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version