ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Open DNS is s***ware

<< < (4/5) > >>

Curt:
It sounds to me as if TreeWalk is kind of dying?

For Microsoft Windows® XP, 2000, .NET and 2003 workstations or servers (Vista version pending). *

Latest TreeWalk Version:  TreeWalk DNS "Hawk" (version 8.21) currently available for download was compiled on Oct.11, 2005 and released November 11, 2005.-TreeWalk
--- End quote ---

Edvard:
Surprisingly, it was the only tool I could find that allows you to test the response time of different DNS servers.
--- End quote ---
Looks like a nice tool, as it measures actual url resolution return times rather than just ping responses.
Ping was how I measured OpenDNS vs. NoCharge, BTW.
OpenDNS came out 5x faster when I last measured, so that's what I'm using.

If all you need is a DNS faster than your ISP's and a public server will do it, then go ahead.
I use OpenDNS because of the services they offer besides (filtering, dynamic ip, etc.) and running filters locally takes up more resources than I'd like.

Clive:
Sorry to be so clueless :-[, but what's  4.2.2.2-6?

40hz:
-Clive (December 01, 2008, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not at all clueless. These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE.

Their IP addresses are:

4.2.2.5 and

I'm not sure why people use OpenDNS when there's many good free DNS servers out there (eg: 4.2.2.2-6) Those in combination with rolling your own cacheing server, and you'll have a more stable and fast system then what openDNS provides, and a tad bit more privacy as well, without the ads.
-Gothi[c] (November 21, 2008, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the key factor is IF you are rolling your own caching server.

It's generally considered 'bad netiquette' to trample on vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net bandwidth for day to day DNS if you have other workable servers available to you.

That being said, here is a link that lists some additional public DNS servers:

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

Deozaan:
-Clive (December 01, 2008, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not at all clueless. These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE.

Their IP addresses are:

4.2.2.5 and

I'm not sure why people use OpenDNS when there's many good free DNS servers out there (eg: 4.2.2.2-6) Those in combination with rolling your own cacheing server, and you'll have a more stable and fast system then what openDNS provides, and a tad bit more privacy as well, without the ads.
-Gothi[c] (November 21, 2008, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
-40hz (December 01, 2008, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd been pleasantly using OpenDNS for the past couple of months but with Gothic advocating the 4.2.2.2-6 DNS servers as being so superior, I decided about a week or two ago to switch my router over to use them.

I didn't really notice any difference at first but gradually my internet connection came to a crawl. It got so bad that it literally took me around 30 minutes to upload a 4MB file for my NANY submission. It was like being on retarded dial-up all over again. After trying to figure out what the problem could be, I remembered that I had switched over to 4.2.2.2 and switched off of that about 15 minutes ago.

Well, it's not yet recovered to what I'd expect from broadband but it's already speeding waaaaayyy up. Major thumbs down to 4.2.2.2-6!  :down: :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version