topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Open DNS is s***ware  (Read 24845 times)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Open DNS is s***ware
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I read one article on www.ask-leo.com and it advocated Open DNS for security reasons. So I decided to try it out. I can't say I noticed any performance increase of any kind, but what happened was that
a: when it couldn't go to the sitein the address bar, it would gi to its own search page. Prick.
b: it wouldn't play the streaming music on MySpace. It stopped at about 13 secs (luckily I'm not superstitious).

So I scrapped it,and all is good now.

I also found out that Google Web accelerator blocks Myspace Mp3 Gopher, but since I shouldn't be using it anyway, I won't boast about it.

It works now.

So be careful with Open DNS, and GWA, neither of them did any noticeable good, and a bit of bad.....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Open DNS is s***ware
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:02 AM »
I use OpenDNS on all my home and business machines, along with most of my client's, and I haven't had that experience.

One thing that may be creating a problem for you is that OpenDNS requires you to include "dot something" when you enter a URL. Example: If you just enter google you'll get the OpenDNS search page. If you enter google.com then you will go directly to the Google homepage. And yes, this was done for security reasons.

Firefox defaults to dot-com if you don't include it. Many popular sites (Project Gutenberg, etc.) are not dot-coms. And a lot of people who are up to no good know that. By requiring you to explicitly enter the top-level domain name you won't be inadvertently sent to the wrong site with possible bad consequences.

As far as performance goes, I haven't noticed a huge boost in browsing speed. But OpenDNS is more responsive than the nameservers my ISP (AT&T) provides. I actually use OpenDNS as my primary and secondary DNS - and AT&T's as my tertiary just in case OpenDNS is unreachable. That way I'm pretty much guaranteed access to a nameserver no matter what is going on.

Can't comment on your issues with MySpace since I don't go there if I can possibly avoid it. Not knocking it. It's just not my thing. :)

Cheers!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:29 AM »
I'd rather set up my own caching nameserver than using OpenDNS - but fortunately, my ISP DNS works pretty well.

Only time I've ever used OpenDNS is when other people have had DNS-related trouble. I don't really like the idea of their search page crap, it should just return no IP for the domain request. Filtering DNS records to protect against malware sites is an okayish idea, but Quis custodiet ipsos custodes??
- carpe noctem

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:34 AM »
To be honest, I have checked their privacy policy and it is no different than google`s privacy policy in that matter. Do not be fooled with "open" in the name.  I actually tried and did not see any notice in speed or performance as well. By subscribing a dns server like that, you are letting them to know everything about your online behaviour and their privacy policy is not convincing. I know that privacy is very overlooked thing when it comes to online services. But seriously privacy is the biggest most important item in the future of technology and net which in return will affect the democracies of our societies. I just hope that companies-institutions will be hold more accountable and individuals will get smarter about their desicions.

Try installing privoxy for ad filtering, it works very well. For faster dns responses you can also try putting your isp`s direct dns adresses in your network settings.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:19 AM by kartal »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:59 AM »
I use OpenDNS for a few reasons:
1- Speed. I am still on dial-up at home, so squeezing every ounce of speed out of my 33.6 connection is vital. OpenDNS servers are 5x faster than the ISP's. Why dial-up? It's free and I just cannot squeeze an extra 30-50 bucks out of my paycheck for decent high speed access.
2- Filtering. Bandwidth being precious, I block as many ads as I can. I understand people still need to make money and ad revenue runs quite a bit of the internet, but when the ads load before the content, I get a little testy...

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04 AM »
I've been using OpenDNS for several months now and don't recall a single instance when their service was down, wish the same could be said for the ISP assigned servers.

There are fixes for some of the common issues people have with them:
Stop OpenDNS From Redirecting Invalid URLs to their Search Pages
Prevent OpenDNS From Redirecting Google Searches - Fix for Firefox & IE Address Bar

The CEO has addressed some issues personally on DC.
OpenDNS - safer, faster and smarter DNS - DonationCoder.com

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Yep, same here, I have had NO problems with OpenDNS and in fact change all of my friends/colleagues over to it as it resolves lot's of issues when the ISP DNS servers take a crap or just stop responding to name queries or reverse lookups.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Filtering DNS records to protect against malware sites is an okayish idea, but Quis custodiet ipsos custodes??

In a nutshell? We do.
Or at least we do here at DC. ;D

FWIW - Now that many of the major ISPs have declared war on USNET's alt forums, it will only be a matter of time before they start blocking DNS queries to independent newsgroup providers. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" indeed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:33 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Y'know... There's a site for s**tware. ;)

I don't use OpenDNS though, so I can't really comment on it. The s**tware thing just looked interesting. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:36 PM »
I have been using OpenDNS since the start. I can stream Myspace music, the search page I am sent to is not a problem when the site I am trying to get to isn't loading, and the page even tells me which nameservers are failing. I believe it's google based and very non-intrusive.  I can filter content with OpenDNS, manage networks, and more.  I really have no idea why you are having those problems, but I have used nothing else for a LONG time now, and have disabled Vista's DNS service.  It is faster, and much more secure than my ISP's DNS.  Have you tried IMing them?  Emailing?  They are extremely responsive and helpful.

This sounds like user inexperience to me.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 06:30 PM »
For people using the "speed" argument in favor of OpenDNS... install your own caching DNS server, and go directly at the root servers. Will be somewhat slower than your ISP in the beginning, but once you get your mostly-used DNS stuff cached, it'll be lightning fast - and OpenDNS won't be able to track you (for those paranoid people). For Windows, treewalk DNS works charms, for linux you have a zillion choices.

As for blocking ads, that's not really something you should be using OpenDNS for... either privoxy, or the lovely FireFox+AdBlockPlus combo. Along with NoScript for flash/javascript whitelisting.
- carpe noctem

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 06:10 AM »
Interesting: here's a status update.....
After going back to ISP DNS firefox started getting Page Not found Errors, which it had been getting before, but only on FF3, 2 was alright, and Windows Live Messenger also started playing up, no surprises there.

So I am back on it, but know to change it when things play up.

I believe these problems have to do with the fact that me net connection is through 2-way satellite, which has a few problems. Gaming is impossible due to connection lag, even on fast plans.
But it also could have to do with some form of rot, I have used this computer very intensively for a few years, and she needs a clean up. and reinstall, some services no longer work (WMI)

So maybe Open DNS isn't too bad, but it seems to play up with Myspace, so I'll just have to make a macro to change it over, might be hard, any help?

Might try treewalk someday

neenee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 02:45 AM »
I use OpenDNS as well, but to block unwanted content, not ads or because I have ISP DNS server problems.

I have no complaints about it whatsoever.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 03:03 AM »
I'm not sure why people use OpenDNS when there's many good free DNS servers out there (eg: 4.2.2.2-6) Those in combination with rolling your own cacheing server, and you'll have a more stable and fast system then what openDNS provides, and a tad bit more privacy as well, without the ads.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, Gothi[c]. I didn't know of those public servers (I mean 4.2.2.1-6) until now. I think the only public DNS servers I knew about were the well publicized OpenDNS.
I've heard good things and not so good things about OpenDNS but in the end I decided they weren't providing such a noticeable advantage compared with my ISP DNS servers to justify the change.
Anyway, I've now set up 4.2.2.1 as my secondary DNS server in case my ISP DNS server isn't reachable (which doesn't happen very often, but still)

On a related note, while googling this subject I came across a little (as in 36,864 bytes-little  :)) and very useful app called DNS Tester. Yup, no prizes for guessing it's a DNS tester. Surprisingly, it was the only tool I could find that allows you to test the response time of different DNS servers. It's free and open source, though it doesn't seem to be updated anymore.
By using DNS Tester, you can tell for sure whether OpenDNS, your ISP's DNS servers or 4.2.2.1 is faster. In my case, it was my ISP's, so I'm sticking with those. By the way, both OpenDNS and 4.2.2.2 seem to be about the same in speed.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in that program (or at least on my system it does) that prevents it from testing more than 1 url at a time (it's prepared to test many).

I'll have what she's having

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 08:04 PM »
It sounds to me as if TreeWalk is kind of dying?

For Microsoft Windows® XP, 2000, .NET and 2003 workstations or servers (Vista version pending). *

Latest TreeWalk Version:  TreeWalk DNS "Hawk" (version 8.21) currently available for download was compiled on Oct.11, 2005 and released November 11, 2005.
-TreeWalk

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Surprisingly, it was the only tool I could find that allows you to test the response time of different DNS servers.
Looks like a nice tool, as it measures actual url resolution return times rather than just ping responses.
Ping was how I measured OpenDNS vs. NoCharge, BTW.
OpenDNS came out 5x faster when I last measured, so that's what I'm using.

If all you need is a DNS faster than your ISP's and a public server will do it, then go ahead.
I use OpenDNS because of the services they offer besides (filtering, dynamic ip, etc.) and running filters locally takes up more resources than I'd like.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Sorry to be so clueless :-[, but what's  4.2.2.2-6?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:17 PM »

Not at all clueless. These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE.

Their IP addresses are:

4.2.2.5 and

I'm not sure why people use OpenDNS when there's many good free DNS servers out there (eg: 4.2.2.2-6) Those in combination with rolling your own cacheing server, and you'll have a more stable and fast system then what openDNS provides, and a tad bit more privacy as well, without the ads.

I think the key factor is IF you are rolling your own caching server.

It's generally considered 'bad netiquette' to trample on vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net bandwidth for day to day DNS if you have other workable servers available to you.

That being said, here is a link that lists some additional public DNS servers:

http://theos.in/wind...lic-dns-server-list/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:55 AM »

Not at all clueless. These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE.

Their IP addresses are:

4.2.2.5 and

I'd been pleasantly using OpenDNS for the past couple of months but with Gothic advocating the 4.2.2.2-6 DNS servers as being so superior, I decided about a week or two ago to switch my router over to use them.

I didn't really notice any difference at first but gradually my internet connection came to a crawl. It got so bad that it literally took me around 30 minutes to upload a 4MB file for my NANY submission. It was like being on retarded dial-up all over again. After trying to figure out what the problem could be, I remembered that I had switched over to 4.2.2.2 and switched off of that about 15 minutes ago.

Well, it's not yet recovered to what I'd expect from broadband but it's already speeding waaaaayyy up. Major thumbs down to 4.2.2.2-6!  :down: :down:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 07:03 AM »
Deozaan: your problems can't have anything to do with DNS servers, as those are only used for looking up a domain name (www.donationcoder.com) and getting an IP (208.101.58.90) back. Sounds more like there's a problem with your internet connection...
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 07:05 AM »
Deozaan: your problems can't have anything to do with DNS servers, as those are only used for looking up a domain name (www.donationcoder.com) and getting an IP (208.101.58.90) back. Sounds more like there's a problem with your internet connection...

That can't be possible. The intertubes are flying now that I've made the switch. Either that or it's just one big fat amazing coincidence that everything started working once I turned that off.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 07:22 AM »
That can't be possible. The intertubes are flying now that I've made the switch. Either that or it's just one big fat amazing coincidence that everything started working once I turned that off.
Could very well be. Once dns->ip resolving has been done, the nameservers aren't used whatsoever. So if you've been able to start uploading (getting a progress bar etc.), the DNS servers have done their trick, and are then in no way whatsoever going to affect your up- or download speed.

Crappy DNS servers can make your web browsing experience as a whole slower, since there's a lot of DNS lookups happening all the time (your OS does do some caching as well, though). But my guess is that it's a big fat coincidence, from the symptoms you described :)
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 07:38 AM »
Yeah I guess it must have been. :-[ Things are slowing down a bit again. I wonder what the problem is.  :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Okay, pardon the old thread resurrection ... but I did grab the newest one I could find. :)

Due to a vacation interrupting client issue, I decided to use OpenDNS as a bit of a hammer dropping maneuver ... to make said client issue go away.

I've been mulling this one over for some time and watching the pro/con discussions with great interest. Given that most LM/browser level resolutions require a separate update, user interaction, and/or physical access to each machine (not to mention resource usage)...a DNS level solution has great appeal to me. It also allows me to manage multiple (disparate) networks quickly, from a single location, and without having to leave my desk (think enterprise level management on a really tight budget).

What I'm wondering is, given that SpyBot Search & Destroy's Inoculation feature has proven to cause great trouble for IE8 performance ... how well does OpenDNS's filtering compare as a replacement for spyBot's??