ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Open DNS is s***ware

<< < (2/5) > >>

nosh:
I've been using OpenDNS for several months now and don't recall a single instance when their service was down, wish the same could be said for the ISP assigned servers.

There are fixes for some of the common issues people have with them:
Stop OpenDNS From Redirecting Invalid URLs to their Search Pages
Prevent OpenDNS From Redirecting Google Searches - Fix for Firefox & IE Address Bar

The CEO has addressed some issues personally on DC.
OpenDNS - safer, faster and smarter DNS - DonationCoder.com

Josh:
Yep, same here, I have had NO problems with OpenDNS and in fact change all of my friends/colleagues over to it as it resolves lot's of issues when the ISP DNS servers take a crap or just stop responding to name queries or reverse lookups.

40hz:
Filtering DNS records to protect against malware sites is an okayish idea, but Quis custodiet ipsos custodes??
-f0dder (September 09, 2008, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

In a nutshell? We do.
Or at least we do here at DC. ;D

FWIW - Now that many of the major ISPs have declared war on USNET's alt forums, it will only be a matter of time before they start blocking DNS queries to independent newsgroup providers. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" indeed.

Renegade:
Y'know... There's a site for s**tware. ;)

I don't use OpenDNS though, so I can't really comment on it. The s**tware thing just looked interesting. :)

y0himba:
I have been using OpenDNS since the start. I can stream Myspace music, the search page I am sent to is not a problem when the site I am trying to get to isn't loading, and the page even tells me which nameservers are failing. I believe it's google based and very non-intrusive.  I can filter content with OpenDNS, manage networks, and more.  I really have no idea why you are having those problems, but I have used nothing else for a LONG time now, and have disabled Vista's DNS service.  It is faster, and much more secure than my ISP's DNS.  Have you tried IMing them?  Emailing?  They are extremely responsive and helpful.

This sounds like user inexperience to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version