ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Bypass internet filtering?

(1/2) > >>

alivingspirit:
I am not the type to go on naughty things on the internet, so I thought I would not have a problem with my schools filter system. However, the filtering at this school is set to "academic only" meaning anything that is not needed for research, info, ext... is blocked. examples: You Tube, Facebook, Proxies, game sites ext...

The filtering is twofold. Not only are the sites filtered, but every site that you do go on can be checked through log-in.

Is there a way to get around it?

justice:
I happen to work in a similar educational setting and the problem will be that students don't pay attention to the lecturer when youtube / facebook / gamessites are open on their pc which will be why they're blocked. You should ask for recreation rooms with pcs where these sites are not blocked. As they're not used during lessons there's no harm in a less restrictive filtering system there. That's a better solution than circumventing the filters which will just result in tighter filtering.

f0dder:
I happen to work in a similar educational setting and the problem will be that students don't pay attention to the lecturer when youtube / facebook / gamessites are open on their pc which will be why they're blocked.-justice (September 09, 2008, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
IMHO people should learn to take responsibility for themselves (and thus, their education). If they can't do that, it's their problem, and that would hopefully teach a valuable lesson.

alivingspirit:
I happen to work in a similar educational setting and the problem will be that students don't pay attention to the lecturer when youtube / facebook / gamessites are open on their pc which will be why they're blocked.-justice (September 09, 2008, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
IMHO people should learn to take responsibility for themselves (and thus, their education). If they can't do that, it's their problem, and that would hopefully teach a valuable lesson.
-f0dder (September 09, 2008, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thats Right! I am currently taking two subjects that are exceptionally boring since I already know them.
Plus they don't only block it in the classrooms but in the dorms as well.

Lashiec:
Whoa, being blocked in the dorms is a completely different thing. While it's tempting to go commando, perhaps you should talk about the issue with the IT department. I mean, everyone needs some relax from time to time, and negating that even in your own room, it's a bit extreme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version