topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google Teams With Microsoft On IE6 Gmail  (Read 6025 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google Teams With Microsoft On IE6 Gmail
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Google has helped Microsoft identify some performance issues in IE6's javascript engine that prevented it from running the latest version of Gmail's interface.

Screenshot - 9_09_2008 , 11_37_59 AM_thumb.png

It’s great to see these two giants get along, isn’t it? When not firing antitrust accusations at each other, the two found time to improve the ancient Internet Explorer 6. Google helped Microsoft identify JavaScript performance issues that was holding the browser back from running the latest and greatest Gmail features.

Among the features IE6 Gmailers can now access:

* Invisible status setting
    * Colored labels
    * Speed-boosted contact manager
    * Group chat

Full Story

Ehtyar.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google Teams With Microsoft On IE6 Gmail
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Great, now if they could just get Gmail to work properly with Firefox I'd be set!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:01 PM »
it might have been Microsoft disabling the features discreetly in the 1st place when gmail came out and forgot about it. ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:00 AM »
I'd take it at face value. IE, while the most compatible with everything, suffers in the performance department (except with IE7 the startup times are quite good). But it's rendering and javascript could seriously be improved.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:23 AM »
So the patch for this was released by Microsoft and is available now? Or is it still pending?

Is it just for XP users or all IE6 users?

I have a hard time believing all IE6 users are going to have an opportunity to get this patch.

I seriously doubt Microsoft is going to back on their "promise" and release patches for anyone running IE6 on 98/ME/2k (well, maybe 2k, but I wouldn't hold my breath or expect it to be free, since they wanted to charge a lot of money for the DST patch for 2k)

Just for the heck of it (not that I really expected there to be a patch waiting for me when I got there), I opened IE6 and went to Windows Update and discovered they really did a number on it and completely disabled access to any older patches for WinME, by requiring one to be logged in with an administrator account to use Windows Update...when they know damn well, better than anyone else, that there is no such thing as administrator accounts in WinME.  >:(

Good thing I don't suddenly need any of those Asian language IME's that I rejected in the past.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:43 AM »
Good thing I don't suddenly need any of those Asian language IME's that I rejected in the past.

You should probably consider getting into the Empower Program or getting a Microsoft Action Pack Subscription. Most likely MAPS is better for you as you'd have to release software for download in the Empower Program.

It's like $400~500 or whatever, but you get more licenses than you'll ever likely need. It simply rocks.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:58 AM »

You should probably consider getting into the Empower Program or getting a Microsoft Action Pack Subscription. Most likely MAPS is better for you as you'd have to release software for download in the Empower Program.

It's like $400~500 or whatever, but you get more licenses than you'll ever likely need. It simply rocks.

Huh? Not sure what any of that has to do with old Windows Update patches that I should still be able to obtain if I wanted them....for free.