topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: When Traffic Shaping Results in ISP Changing  (Read 7154 times)

Rui

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When Traffic Shaping Results in ISP Changing
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Hello

I am sick of being traffic shaped by my ISP, with which I have signed a 24Mb package.

I don't know what is the situation in other countries, but where I live (Portugal), there are ISPs who just can't fulfill their marketing promises and campaigns.

My torrent traffic has been repeatedly shaped by my ISP. It even happens that they send me so much RST packets that there are times when my torrent client goes crazy and stops responding, crashing.

What is your experience concerning this issue?

I have had some phone contacts with my ISP Support Team, and they consistently deny they are practicing traffic shaping. This situation makes me angry with them. I KNOW they are doing this.

See http://www.azureuswi...hp/Bad_ISPs#Portugal

I don't pay them to be lying to me.

What do you do to combat ISP traffic shaping?

As a protest, I am changing to another ISP.

Unfortunately, I am afraid I will have to change my email at ALL THE SITES where I am registered, and I am afraid that there are a lot of them!...

Indeed, you should not be dependent on the email address provided by your current ISP, as you never know when will you you have to change!...

I am thinking of registering my own domain, and eventually have my own personal email address, not dependent on any ISP.

A couple more of questions:

Where do you advise me to register my own domain?
Concerning hosting, which hosting company do you recommend?

FYI, I am running an FTP Server to share files with friends, with the help of No-IP.

To gain complete control over my -email, should I consider running my own mail server?

As I am planning publishing a site dedicated to computer security (Windows), what hosting companies do you recommend, based on your own experience?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience!

Best regards.

Rui

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: When Traffic Shaping Results in ISP Changing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Indeed, you should not be dependent on the email address provided by your current ISP, as you never know when will you you have to change!...

agree 100% -- see my post about this here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=14118.0

Where do you advise me to register my own domain?

doesnt seem to matter too much.  godaddy seems to be an ok place to buy domain names (dont know about hosting).
you could also always use the free mail services (gmail, yahoo, hotmail) which many people do.

To gain complete control over my -email, should I consider running my own mail server?

most hosting company packages, even the really cheap $5 a month type ones will give you email addresses based on your domain with nothing for you to set up.

don't really know what company to recommend for small hosting but surely others will.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Well.. I have the exact same problem (I'm on tvcabo).
Actually, I even made a project for school to discover a way to solve traffic shapping.

My conclusions were:
Tor is a terribly bad idea.
Encryption might help, but usually doesn't
A proxy solves the problem perfectly, as long as they don't use more complex methods of detection (tvcabo doesn't).
An good proxy (that disguises p2p traffic as http) solves it for advanced detection, but might still be detectable if the size/frequency of packets is considered.

To be honest, I did it out of fun and curiosity, as I don't download that much. But I can tell you that if you get somewhere to proxy to, you'll probably get the max speed your connection allows you to ;)

ps: also interesting is that my ISP, when asked about this, told me that bittorrent is an "illegal protocol", and thus they have the legal right to block it  ;D ;D

Rui

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:37 PM »
To mouser and jgpaiva

Thank you very much for responding!

Concerning using  a WebMail alternative, I do not like Web Mail...

Concerning the traffic shaping problem, I already run Azureus using encryption. So, this does not solve the problem, as João says.

Googleing the matter of a proxy, I came across this:

http://www.raymond.c...ass-traffic-shaping/

What do you think? Anyway, I did not tried it yet.

And, concerning OUR ISP (mine and jgpaiva's), the answer they gave to him is, of course, hilarious.
By the way, I asked them IF they thought people like me bought a 24Mbs package just to surf rhe web and using e-mail.  I had a thundering silence as a response! Ah ah ah

Not that I am a huge downloader, but I get furious when my download speeds go to almost zero, because of the damned shaping.

Besides, our ISP position is hypocrit, to say the least... Although, I am not here to discuss morals.

Illegal protocol???  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Best regards

Rui   

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:44 PM »
IMO GoDaddy is a terribly bad idea. I've heard many-a-horror-story about them. I will confess, however, that I am absolutely head-over-heels for DreamHost (and they have some very nice cpanel options for pop3/smtp email).

Ehtyar.

Rui

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53 PM »
PM sent to jgpaiva, concerning ISPs in our country,, just not to hijack the thread.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53 PM »
When registering your own domain, make sure YOU own the domain name, and not the company you register through.
- carpe noctem

Rui

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00 PM »
When registering your own domain, make sure YOU own the domain name, and not the company you register through.

f0dder

Thanks for the hint.
But, noob question: How can you be sure of that?
Thanks and best regards
Rui

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 07:04 PM »
No idea - but it must be in the terms of services somewhere. I made sure it was when I registered my two domains :)
- carpe noctem

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Rui: the solution you mentioned will most likely not work with this specific situation because that's for the http connections to the trackers (which can be done through netcabo), and not for the connection to the other peers (which is the one blocked by netcabo).

ps: the solution mentioned in the end of the article (VPN) is very similar to the proxy solution I mentioned, it should work perfectly. Too bad it's not free, though ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:40 PM by jgpaiva »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:41 AM »
No idea - but it must be in the terms of services somewhere. I made sure it was when I registered my two domains :)
Simplest way is to never register the domain name with a hosting company. Sure you might save a few bucks ...but you'll be married to them forever. e.g. Hosting companies tend to not be helpful when you leave them...

Rui

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Simplest way is to never register the domain name with a hosting company. Sure you might save a few bucks ...but you'll be married to them forever. e.g. Hosting companies tend to not be helpful when you leave them...

Stoic Joker

Thank you very much for this hint.
And would gandi.net be one of these "independent" registrars?
I am a little lost after perusing through the ICANN list of all accredited registrars.
Thanks ahain and best regards.
Rui