topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Win XP auto-update query  (Read 6990 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Win XP auto-update query
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Say you're using XP updates where it notifies you of updates but doesnt do anything until you approve.
You can then refuse an update - in this case SP3, and ask not to be notified of it again.

If you then turn on automatic updates in xp - i.e. fully auto = including downloading/installing,
dou you think will it try & install SP3 ?
(you could imagine that could be difficult for someone with slow internet connection)
Tom

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Win XP auto-update query
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:34 PM »
I don't think so, but you can always try. Remember that you can also install SP3 via Windows Update, it's the first thing it will offer to you, and you can undo the "Ignore update" action there. Also, updates do not get downloaded if the connection is busy, and they're resumed automatically once it's free. Even if you reboot the computer, or don't use for several days, the downloading will resume once everything is running again.

Gee, I wish all programs would use BITS (the component that makes all this possible) :(

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:58 PM »
I don't think so, but you can always try. Remember that you can also install SP3 via Windows Update, it's the first thing it will offer to you

I think(?) you misunderstood ? -  [edit] or maybe I misunderstood you ;D [/edit]
I don't want it to install it cause I reckon it will hog the bandwidth on this persons computer but if it's going to do it anyway (I mean if autoupdates is going to install it anyways) I may as well download it myself here and install it there, if you follow me ...

[edit]Their XP install is otherwise uptodate
Tom
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:03 PM by tomos »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Ah, OK, I understood you feared they could never update to SP3 because they ignored it :D. In any case, I think it will not, but never found myself in a position to actually verify this, as SP3 is the first Service Pack Microsoft released I had the option to ignore, and opted for not doing it.

If the computer is up to date, the package won't be as big as a full update. And, unless there are reasons why is preferable to do an offline installation (say like, monthly usage caps), it won't eat their connection due to what I explained before. Did I get it now? :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:28 PM by Lashiec »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:18 PM »
If you tell auto update not to install an update and ignore it in the future it SHOULDN'T install it even if you have automatic upate set on 'fry my system at your leisure' setting.

If at some point in the future you decide you want to install SP3  (or any other updates) you need to manually go to the Windows update site and get it to display ignored updates. At that point you can remove the ignore setting.

Having said all that I think MS may ignore your ignore setting if they send out a revised SP3 - not sure on that one. Also MicroSnoop might well decide they know what is best at some point and install it whatever you do (just like they update 'automatic update' without your permission unless you set updates to 'never').

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 06:29 PM »
(just like they update 'automatic update' without your permission unless you set updates to 'never').
And sometimes even then, according to rumour.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:12 AM »
even if you have automatic upate set on 'fry my system at your leisure' setting.
;D ;D ;D
 not my system though :P - the in-laws, & they havent gotten their heads around "semi" auto-updates so "better a chance to fry" than no updates at all ..

:-\ oh, I guess I'd better just go up there and install the damn thing
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:38 AM »
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit from Microsoft

via Windows Secrets - Don't let XP Service Pack 3 hose your system

Has a time limit, though. It changes and allows them to auto-install it in - I think - July 2009.   ;D 8)

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 03:06 AM »
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit from Microsoft

via Windows Secrets - Don't let XP Service Pack 3 hose your system

Has a time limit, though. It changes and allows them to auto-install it in - I think - July 2009.   ;D 8)

Jim

:huh: what's that about ... oh well, as said above, better install the ยง%$&* thing :)
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 01:10 AM »
Here's a clip from Scott Dunn's Windows Secrets article about stopping XP SP3 from auto-updating.

[attach=#1][/attach]

Jim