topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Benefits of web hosting with DonationCoder from my perspective  (Read 5894 times)

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a great venture by DonationCoder to share webspace with its users & I just wanted to praise the effort.  Well OK, I wanted to do more than praise it, I wanted to promote it, because I don't want to lose it!  I truly hope people understand how awesome this is if you want a space on the web.  The speed is amazing and the amount of control you can have if you need it, is overwhelming.  Plus the amount of storage space is more than enough for most anyone.  If all you are looking for is place to host a simple website via ftp and you want to upload pictures, html or even have your own email server, then....Bam! Mouser can get that set up easily enough for you.  But if you know what you are doing or are up to learning more about cpanel and how it works (I suggest you do), you have the potential to add some great stuff like guestbooks, forums, chatrooms, use of frontpage extensions, access to logs & stats, password protection to a page, running multiple add-on sites under 1 alias or even having subdomains within those, like mike.superdude.com, angie.superdude.com.  Or if you don't have your own site just use mike.dcmembers.com or whatever the domain name for users will be (I think that is still up in there air).  These are the features you only get with a highend hosting package, but it is available to us right here at DC!  Maybe a website sounds like an idea you have thought about, if you don't know what you are looking for here are some ideas that come to mind, reasons to have ones own personal webspace/webpage

} a personal page to share a blog, diary or just tell about yourself to the world or whoever you choose to share it with
   } a place to put up your resume that will always be there
   } a place for vacation, friends or family photos
   } to start a place for people with a similar interest to gather, get to know each other & share information (e.g. donationcoder.com)
   } just want to express youself creatively (whether it be with poetry, drawings, music or many other varieties)
   } need reliable hosting to link your ebay auction pictures to
   } i'm sure there are many more but brain can’t grasp them all atm

Another key benefit to sharing space with DonationCoder, as I have heard mouser say before, if a personal page goes down, so does DonationCoder & we all know mouser won't allow that to happen.  After all, I think he eats, sleeps and showers in front of his computer, so the site will always be up.  Personally, I think the best part is that we can support the site at the same time we get what is normally expensive hosting for ourselves.

Ever since DonationCoder took the plunge on a more dedicated hosting plan, I have been one of mouser's test pigs.  So, for the last week or so I've had a couple sites up. Mostly vacation pictures and a memorium to a friend who passed on a couple years ago (ahh there's another consideration for a site). It took a couple days to understand why things weren't working, but that was all in the way the hosting company set things up (which was wrong!).  Now everything is all peachy (and did I mention blazing fast!), thanks to mouser.

Anywho, I would be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts & experiences around this opportunity.  Or even continuing to list more ideas for having your own webspace.

Cheers.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Benefits of web hosting with DonationCoder from my perspective
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 04:17 AM »
thanks for the really nice words vegas :-[

let me just point people also to the special section we've set up for discussion of the web hosting team up idea here: https://www.donation...index.php?board=60.0

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 05:27 AM »
Can I just endorse everything vegas just posted - not only is the system fast and flexible but Mouser is really helpful when you get in a mess (like I have a few times ...). Thanks this is going to be a truly great service, and I would suggest anyone wanting to get on board should do it sooner rather than later as there must be a limit to the number of people that can ultimately be hosted in this way (it is after all a single server, and Mouser is alledgedly only human ;)) Don't miss out on this great offer ... now back to my tussle playing with PHP and MySQL ...

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 05:41 AM »
Me three.  Might I also ask that there be a page somewhere showing who the members are that have websites and links to those sites?

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 07:13 AM »
i think thats a great idea kevin, for all those who *want* to be listed on such a page.  some won't and that's fine.

ps.
i have to say thanks to carol and vegas for being guinea pigs helping to test out the accounts and setting them up.
and also thanks to carol for helping find and test scripts.  for anyone with an account who wants some advice or help testing and configuring a script, if carol is willing to help then you're in good hands.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:38 AM »
 :-[

I will help if people want ... is there somewhere specific you would like these requests posted?

After my experience lastnight with Typo3 though ....

Things I have tinkered and played with (and managed to get working):

MySql Database Backup scripts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

db_backup
phpMyBackupPro ; my preferred solution at the moment but has some restrictions (only one db user id allowed)

Content Management
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drupal ; my preferred solution, though I am still open to options
Mambo
Joomla
Typo3 .... very frustrating but I did eventually get it working!
bbBlog
WordPress ; Brilliant blog sites
PMWiki
MediaWiki ; Rolls Royce - but hard to set up ... requires manual editing of files and MySQL database

Forum software
~~~~~~~~~~~

SMF    ; preferred, as used here
phpbb

Error Loggin:
~~~~~~~~~

Mantis

Image Gallerys
~~~~~~~~~~

Gallery2 ; preferred - mega functional!
4Homepages
Coppermine