ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Crash course in MUSIC: mp3/meta_Data/compilations/download_sites

<< < (3/4) > >>

xtabber:
Regardless of the format you download, if you want to play your compilation in most CD players (that is, not computer CD drives or MP3 players) you will need to burn audio CDs in CD-Digital Audio format (CD-DA).

MP3 (or Apple's AAC equivalent) files are great for listening from appropriate devices but they are not as good for burning CDs. MP3 is a lossy format which tries to adapt to the way the human ear hears sounds when compressing music, but you make the perceived sound worse when converting from a lossy format to CD audio because the information restored is not identical to what was removed originally.

What this means is that for archival purposes and for burning CDs you should use a lossless format such as flac, which is smaller than uncompressed WAVE files and allows you to attach metadata as tags.  Of course, if your original source is MP3, you are stuck with what you've got and won't be able to get any better quality from it anyhow.

There are a wide variety of free programs out there that will let you rip and burn CDs and convert between different audio formats, but for nearly all of this kind of thing, I use Easy CD-DA Extractor from Poikosoft  (http://www.poikosoft.com/ - 25 euros) which puts all the tools you need in one extremely convenient package and does it all as well as the best of the individual programs.

Lashiec:
[Original post]
-tomos (February 07, 2009, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use the following scheme:
 <Artist>\(<Year>) <Album>\<Disc Number>.<Track Number>. Track Title

Some renamers should be able to rename and even organize the files in directory trees (the one I use, ReNamer, surely does), but there's the problem of format support, and that you need another program to edit the tags, which most of the time also has the ability to rename the files according to the tags and the scheme you prefer. For options, refer to this thread

tomos:
I use the following scheme:
 <Artist>\(<Year>) <Album>\<Disc Number>.<Track Number>. Track Title

Some renamers should be able to rename and even organize the files in directory trees (the one I use, ReNamer, surely does), but there's the problem of format support, and that you need another program to edit the tags, which most of the time also has the ability to rename the files according to the tags and the scheme you prefer. For options, refer to this thread
-Lashiec (February 09, 2009, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks Lashiec,
I've properly tagged what files I have (well reasonably..) using mp3tag as recommended by that thread.
I'm not going to bother renaming the mixed bag of tracks that I have - so long as they're properly tagged I'll survive. (But I will give that thread a closer look and I can always rename them again)

But for any new ripped tracks I'll try and set some nmaing standard along those lines
cheers, Tom

roduke41:
Thanks, Tomas.
What I have is a tiny gizmo little more than one inch square which with USB connection plays music already installed -- but using only a fraction of its 512mb.

The instructions consist of a diagram of the unit with its off-on/volume/pause/play/previous track/next track/ buttons.

I expected to be able to copy/transfer/move from a website with classical music to the mp3. From what you say I'd best forget it as being beyond my competence.

tomos:
I expected to be able to copy/transfer/move from a website with classical music to the mp3. From what you say I'd best forget it as being beyond my competence.
-roduke41 (February 09, 2009, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
well,
if you're willing to say what the website is someone could tell you step by step -
if it's reasonably basic stuff I could help - I know very little about this stuff (music in particular) but I reckon I could figure it out.

With classical music I would imagine there are safe sites with free music out there (ANYone got any ideas on that one there?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version