ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Free (or cheap) simple database app to generate XML files.

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I need an app that can set up a simple card index type database (including text fields and urls at the minimum) and then output the database as a simple XML file.

All of the cards will have the same format so the XML file will be very simple.

It needs to be very simple to use.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA

e712:
Hi,

Would a spreadsheet exported as XML work? 

Ed

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for the suggestion - I will give it a try.

What I am trying to do is to find a simple method to produce an XML database in a simple way for an AJAX based website.

tinjaw:
Carol,

I haven't any experience with it, but spotted Advanced CSV Converter on the Iconico preview email today. It might be what you are looking for.

A Hassle-Free Way to Convert Your CSV Files
If you’ve ever had to input information into a database, then you’re probably familiar with CSV files. Databases use CSV files because they’re an efficient way to store large amounts of data using relatively little space; however, you occasionally might find yourself wanting to convert these files into more convenient formats.

With Advanced CSV Converter, converting CSV files has never been faster or easier. It can handle a host of formats, including DBF (Dbase III, Dbase IV, Visual Foxpro), TXT, HTML, PRG (Clipper, Foxpro), XML , XLS (Excel), SQL, and RTF.

Although some converters can be tricky to use, Advanced CSV Converter uses an intuitive system that makes conversion a breeze. It simply plucks all the data out of the CSV in question and turns it into a nice list of data fields, ready to be saved to a multitude of formats. Best of all, the program operates via a step-by-step wizard, letting you monitor every step of the conversion process.

--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Perhaps an SQLite frontend with XML output capabilities? Surely somebody must have written a free tool for this, and it would definitely be simple (no complex setup etc).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version