ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Microsoft does right

(1/2) > >>

zridling:

* Nod to Edvard's recent topic on Vista FUD.
I come to praise Microsoft, not bury it. Love. Hate. Linux. Apple. Whatever. If for no other reason, Microsoft gets cracked over the head because it is the big dog, the market leader, the richest, most widely supported and used software to date. But there are some things I like. For example:

* incredible apps like OneNote, and for me, Expression Web;

* the continual extension and refinement of XP-SP3; and

* they listen to customers enough to change their EULA for Vista.
and I know there's a lot more. You tell us.

app103:
Windows Live Writer  :-*

Paul Keith:
Microsoft Office Suite (including OneNote)
Windows Live Writer
FolderShare
Vista 64-bit support compared to XP's 64-bit support
Cleartype
DirectX
...and their ingenuous plot to draw attention away by pretending to be anti-piracy when in reality the reason they are able to maintain their monopoly is because many users who couldn't afford them, pirate Windows and Office instead of switching to Linux. You didn't really think MS becoming more annoying to you was just them fumbling the ball on being anti-piracy did you? They know that as long as they don't make it bad enough, those annoyed users would refer to their techie friends to *wink *wink fix the annoyance for them and they could always also use the "it's an early version" to patch things up until Vista becomes good enough for most users and all that's left is a bunch of techies whining away at the OS while people migrate to it.

40hz:
For me it's Flight Simulator X. (At least until I can afford a real private jet. ;D)
It's the one product they sell that I have adored since it first came out. :-* :-* :-*

MSDN, TechNet and their ActionPack deal are also well conceived and executed.

I just wish they'd put a cork in Ballmer. They pick can either end. (Dealer's choice since it's the same stuff coming out.) ;)

I also think they deserve a special award. It would be a gold medal with the word DISINFORMATION on the front in elegant curvy letters surrounding an image of Bart Simpson flipping you the bird. On the back it should say "Awarded for courage and fortitude shown in the face of overwhelming evidence."

zridling:
I'd forgotten about ClearType, Paul. Fontographers are some of the highest paid tech artists in history. And for good reason. If your screen isn't clear, then the internet pretty much sucks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version