topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Copying files to a series of DVD  (Read 6357 times)

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Copying files to a series of DVD
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:19 PM »
I want to back up a series of files to DVD. In total, there is about 20 GB of files. I want the files to be on the DVD in original format, not zipped or any other format. In the past I have just selected a group of files that would fit on a DVD and burn that, but this gets fiddly.

I have checked the forum discussion on backups but none of the programs seem to do this.

Is there a program that will allow one to select a range of files and directories, break them into DVD sized groups so that they can be burnt to DVD ( or burn directly to DVD)?

Thanks

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Copying files to a series of DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:42 PM »
There is a tool called: Burn To The Brim

Seems to be for CD and DVD.

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Found it at http://bttb.sourceforge.net/. Will try it.

Thanks

Chris

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:15 PM »
AMBackup (via google  8) have not tried it yet). Anyways, I believe Handy Backup, Genie, Backup4all and probably others have this feature.

Features:
  • File search by type
  • Zip and Zip64 support
  • FTP backup support
  • Basic CD/DVD burning support
  • Always being improved
  • Save/load backup settings

ss1.jpg
ss4.jpg

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26 AM »
There' s also an old PC Mag application that does this as well. Two caveats, though:

1. I don't know if it is XP compatible, let alone Vista
2. PC Mag apps are $8 or so, unless you want to pay for a month or a year's access to the entire collection (about $20 a year).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32 AM »
OK. Just checked. PackEmIn is two years old and is Win2k and XP compatible. It'll cost you $7.97 and, most annoyingly, there is no trial  >:(

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:39 AM »
I tried Burn To The Brim. This did part of what I wanted. I also tried SizeMe. Again this did part of what I wanted.

Finally I tried PackEmIn from PCMag. This was the best and seems to do everything I want.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Chris

gtoal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29 PM »
I want to back up a series of files to DVD. In total, there is about 20 GB of files. I want the files to be on the DVD in original format, not zipped or any other format. In the past I have just selected a group of files that would fit on a DVD and burn that, but this gets fiddly.

I have checked the forum discussion on backups but none of the programs seem to do this.

Is there a program that will allow one to select a range of files and directories, break them into DVD sized groups so that they can be burnt to DVD ( or burn directly to DVD)?

that takes me back... many years ago, Acorn had a floppy archiver called "far" which was basically tar for floppies.  But it suffered from the deficiencies that you're complaining about.  So Pieter Schoenmakers and I came up with Far Two which did a first-fit algorithm on files to pack as much content into floppies as possible.  Remarkably, the first-fit heuristic was incredibly effective.  Anyway, the code is still around ( http://www.gtoal.com...src/fart/fart.c.html ) although clearly it's specific to the Acorn RiscOS; but it might give you some hints about what's needed if you want to write something similar to create staging directories for copying to CD or DVD...

One thing you need to be careful about is the overhead caused by the directory hierarchy which you're creating, which adds to the expected size that you'ld think you needed from just the file sizes alone.  And of course remember to account for block sizes.  Probably for a DVD imager, you'd want to make a rough guess first and then create an iso, and maybe iterate a few times adding or removing the last few Kbs to the files until you get a perfect fit.  If your system is fast enough to allow that and you don't do it too often...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:17 PM by gtoal »