ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

real reason chrome exist is to prevent microsoft from making a sucky browser

<< < (3/3)

app103:
[Ehtyar]: The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well.
--- End quote ---

But why go to that trouble? Web authoring software, including the pretty fantastic MS Expression Web, creates compliant W3C code. If you (not you personally) can't be bothered to compose a standards-compliant webpage/site, then Google shouldn't have to engineer around your mistakes.
-zridling (September 06, 2008, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because kids build web pages (or parts of pages) too, and often with hand written code that isn't standards compliant.

Not to mention a ton of blogs customized by beginners.

And a browser should be able to handle one of the most beautiful sites I have ever visited. (read it all and you will understand why I say that)

With 63 Errors and 168 warnings on just the main page, it's a billion times better than it used to be, back when he hand coded it all himself.

Any browser that can't handle that site belongs in the trash.

Ehtyar:
I'd just like to point out, despite the fact that it's contrary to my position in this thread, that I code all my pages by hand, and they are all three phase compliant. I may disagree with a browser that does not support non-compliant pages, though I personally very much recognize the necessity of them.

Ehtyar.

psionics:
the way I see it, google get 2 benefits..
1 is the googleupdater.exe that loads at startup in which they focus on unique I.P. hits as their marketing tool, and
2 is their convenience in using web browser

urlwolf:
[Ehtyar]: The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well.
--- End quote ---

But why go to that trouble? Web authoring software, including the pretty fantastic MS Expression Web, creates compliant W3C code. If you (not you personally) can't be bothered to compose a standards-compliant webpage/site, then Google shouldn't have to engineer around your mistakes.
-zridling (September 06, 2008, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because kids build web pages (or parts of pages) too, and often with hand written code that isn't standards compliant.

Not to mention a ton of blogs customized by beginners.

And a browser should be able to handle one of the most beautiful sites I have ever visited. (read it all and you will understand why I say that)

With 63 Errors and 168 warnings on just the main page, it's a billion times better than it used to be, back when he hand coded it all himself.

Any browser that can't handle that site belongs in the trash.
-app103 (September 08, 2008, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

App, I still cannot see why Bike Mike's site is your favorite.
I can relate to what he's doing, but not to the point of seeing it as one of the most beautiful sites on the web. Maybe one needs to understand multiple sclerosis to see why this is a feat?

Thanks

app103:
App, I still cannot see why Bike Mike's site is your favorite.
I can relate to what he's doing, but not to the point of seeing it as one of the most beautiful sites on the web. Maybe one needs to understand multiple sclerosis to see why this is a feat?
-urlwolf (September 08, 2008, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess you didn't read it all.

Mike was a victim of birth defects. Born blind in one eye, barely can see out of the other...deaf in one ear, wears a hearing aid in the other...facial deformities...mental retardation (mentally, I'd say he was no older than about 12, even though he is physically 38)

Has competed in Special Olympics, was an official Olympic Torch Bearer (regular Olympics 2002), was selected as an alternate torch bearer in 2004.

Everyone that has ever met him loves him. Restaurants have named sandwiches and dinners after him.

He dreams of some day being a DJ at a real radio station. He certainly knows his way around a control room of both TV & radio. (info not on the website: If he had been able to go to college, he would have majored in Mass Communications. He wanted to go, already had credits from high school towards his degree, basically ran our town's cable station, but no college wanted him.)

No matter what, he keeps chasing his dreams, always keeps a cheerful attitude, and setbacks mean nothing to him (and he sure has had his share over the years).

He's the poster child for ambition, persistence, optimism, enthusiasm, and determination....as well as kindness & generosity.

Coffee Cup thought enough of his original site to give him a copy of every application they made, for free, and tossed in a few T-shirts too.

If all you saw was some guy that rides a bike to raise money for multiple sclerosis, you really missed a lot.

He is one of the most beautiful people I have ever known....and that beauty is all over that website.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version