ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Posture in sitting/standing ideas, tips & tricks

<< < (3/6) > >>

kfitting:
Nope.  Not if you do it right.  At first it does hurt a little as you stretch out your body and get things back into place (plus, you probably will be exercising muscles in "new" ways).  But, the premise (and one which I have felt) is that getting your body into position allows you to use your body as it was meant to be used.  Dont think of your body as something that needs to be coddled.  It was meant for movement, standing, sitting, etc.  The problem is that in our society we have gotten lazy and do those things inefficiently... yes, even sitting in a big "comfy" armchair can be inefficient.  Right now I feel the best sitting in a normal slightly padded folding chair. 

Besides, one of the points brought up in both of the books I mentioned is that our muscles and bones actually need a certain amount of stress to be strong.  Sitting/standing with proper posture actually makes us use our bodies as intended and these natural stresses help make us stronger. 

For me, one of the things that drives the point home are all the pictures of babies and small children in "8 Steps to a Pain Free Back."  It becomes very apparent that the posture we start with is not the posture our culture does not promote....

... posture begins with the person, not neck rests and arm handles.

Kevin

tomos:
For those who tried these, doesn't it make your neck hurt instead? From the pictures it looks like it can be a pain while typing in front of a keyboard with the lack of neck rest and lack of arm handles.
-Paul Keith (September 09, 2008, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Two points
(keep in mind I'm no typist and have to work with the mouse a lot)

1) You're not supposed to sit leaning very far back so the neck thing shouldnt be a problem
2) I think armrests engourage pad posture (leaning) & just get in the way generally

here's an interesting one
Ideal typing posture: Negative slope keyboard support

EDIT/ mind you he looks to me like he could tilt his head forward a bit !
And presumable the height of desk should be related to the length of your legs & height of stool (?)

EDIT2/ I superimposed the correct posture à la Esther Gokhale (8 Steps ../taken from reply #1 above) onto the typing image

kfitting:
Keep those images from Esther's book in mind... the image in Tomos' post shows poor posture.  Keep your spine in front of your butt.  The neck is reclined too far back as well.  Shoulders are also too far forward. 

One of my biggest problems is leaning on one arm (I concur with Tomos' comments on armrests, particularly for work chairs).  As soon as you lean you skew your whole body.  Muscles start to adjust to the reformed posture and things go downhill fast.

Kevin

Paul Keith:
Thanks for all the advise. I think I'll go buy the book out and see for myself.

tomos:
the image in Tomos' post shows poor posture.  Keep your spine in front of your butt.  The neck is reclined too far back as well.  Shoulders are also too far forward.
-kfitting (September 09, 2008, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

EDIT2/ I superimposed the correct posture à la Esther Gokhale (8 Steps ...) onto the typing image
-tomos (September 09, 2008, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

see above - just gives you a very rough idea

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version