ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Posture in sitting/standing ideas, tips & tricks

<< < (2/6) > >>

tomos:
hi Kevin
I'm presuming Esther Gokhale and Mary Bond dont differ too much in their ideas ?

For the record, in the YouTube film,
Esther Gokhale says her ideas dont differ too much from Alexander technique (see Sri's link above), but that they concentrate on the neck/shoulder area and dont comment too much on the hip area. But that is where she reckons is of most importance in psoture

... I am reminded to make an effort.
-cranioscopical (September 07, 2008, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
... what I'm trying to figure out is how to make the effort :)

kfitting:
The two books have similar thoughts and the same end result... different styles.  Mary Bond's is a little more "yoga-ish" (she is a "movement therapist") and more technical (she goes into the different muscles and how they relate to each other).  Esther's is more hands on and a little more practical.  Part of the reason I liked Esther's just a little bit more is I tend to be more rational/logical and I really like all the pictures... but I learned a lot from both books and recommend them both.  If you just want to get one, I'd get Esther's though.

I agree with Esther (not that that matters a whole hill-o-beans).  Shoulders hurt, but the hips set the rest of your posture.  If you're standing, your feet are also big components. 

You can look up 8 Steps for a Pain Free Back at books.google.com.  They have a limited preview.  Also, at one time I found chapter 5 for download as a pdf.  If you want to take a quick look-see.

In case you cared, looking up material on "rolfing" is what led me to Mary Bond's book... then I found Esther's about three weeks later.

Kevin

SKesselman:
In case you cared, looking up material on "rolfing" is what led me to Mary Bond's book... then I found Esther's about three weeks later.
-kfitting (September 07, 2008, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Has anyone reading this thread been rolfed?

I was rolfed about 10 years ago, and can still feel its effects. Not only was it a tremendous help for pain, but my posture was changed for the better, with really no effort on my part...and those were the minor changes  :) .

Armando:
-kfitting (September 07, 2008, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Has anyone reading this thread been rolfed?

I was rolfed about 10 years ago, and can still feel its effects. Not only was it a tremendous help for pain, but my posture was changed for the better, with really no effort on my part...and those were the minor changes  :) .

-SKesselman (September 07, 2008, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, but I often wanted to try. Maybe I will...  :)

Paul Keith:
For those who tried these, doesn't it make your neck hurt instead? From the pictures it looks like it can be a pain while typing in front of a keyboard with the lack of neck rest and lack of arm handles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version