ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Crash course in MUSIC: mp3/meta_Data/compilations/download_sites

<< < (4/4)

roduke41:
Thanks for the encouragement, Tomas.
If colleague comes up with needed website we can go from there.

Lashiec:
With classical music I would imagine there are safe sites with free music out there (ANYone got any ideas on that one there?)
-tomos (February 09, 2009, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Deutsche Grammophon. On classical music, it does not get better than that, I think :). Plenty of shopping options as well, including FLAC (w00t!)

app103:
a follow on question would be[/u]:
if I organise / correct the tags first is there a renamer (preferably free/donation-ware) that could rename using the tags info ?
-tomos (February 07, 2009, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup: mp3tag  :D

Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata (ID3, Vorbis Comments and APE) of common audio formats. It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words from tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more. The program supports online freedb database lookups for selected files, allowing you to automatically gather proper tag information for select files or CDs.
--- End quote ---

tomos:
I prefer mp3Tag Pro. I like that this application can read and write OGG tags, WMA tags, M4a/MP4 tags, AAC tags, APE tags, FLAC tags, MPC tags, WV tags, WAV tags.
-Marisha (November 30, 2009, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

mp3Tag Pro seems to get a lot of first time posters recommending it...

I actually tried MP3 Tag Pro a month or two ago & I didn't think it was all that impressive from what I recall. There are much better solutions available.
-Innuendo (November 19, 2009, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Innuendo:
Ack! Peek my head in here & it looks like Tomos has already posted for me. ;)

In my opinion, a tagging program should make one's life easier by being able to reach out over the internet & grab metadata from services such as Discogs, Amazon, FreeDB, MusicBrainz, MusicIP, and others. The 'problem' with these services is that they aren't all-knowing. A lot of times you will search their databases & find that your preferred service does not have the album you are looking for.

The good tagging programs will allow you to use data from 3, 4, or more services. Unfortunately, a lot of tagging programs will only contact Amazon or FreeDB for info.

At one time I was going to post a crash course like tomos was requesting, but abandoned the effort when I realized that it was going to be longer than this thread already is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version