ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

real reason chrome exist is to prevent microsoft from making a sucky browser

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ehtyar:
I never said my opinion had anything to do with it being WebKit based, though that does indirectly create some problems. The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well. This may be a feature few people are noticing, but it becomes a huge problem for hobbyists running small websites. This gives rise to the issue of yet another browser to support; with a hacked up WebKit, and a custom javascript engine, no one can say that Chrome will run any Safari code (there is also the issue of Safari not being supported in the first place. You also have the issue of Google's updater, which I won't go into any further than to say it's not open source, and it runs whenever Windows considers your computer to be idle. Options and user modifications are nothing compared to just about any other browser on the market, and then you also have to consider its vulnerability to several known and wild attacks.
My two cents.

Ehtyar.

SirSmiley:
Yeah that updater annoys the crap out of me.

zridling:
[Ehtyar]: The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well.
--- End quote ---

But why go to that trouble? Web authoring software, including the pretty fantastic MS Expression Web, creates compliant W3C code. If you (not you personally) can't be bothered to compose a standards-compliant webpage/site, then Google shouldn't have to engineer around your mistakes.

Ehtyar:
[Ehtyar]: The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well.
--- End quote ---

But why go to that trouble? Web authoring software, including the pretty fantastic MS Expression Web, creates compliant W3C code. If you (not you personally) can't be bothered to compose a standards-compliant webpage/site, then Google shouldn't have to engineer around your mistakes.
-zridling (September 06, 2008, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
I suppose you're right, from Google's point of view, however, as an end user, you expect them to do their best to render *all* pages on the internet, not just those that conform to the standards. As an end user, that makes up a part of why Google Chrome sucks.

Ehtyar.

Josh:
Zaine, First, please don't attack me like you do on betanews for posting this opinion.

An end user doesn't care about whether a page is standards compliant, all they care about is that it works. They don't care if a developer is lazy, they just want the page to work. I know my 18 year old sister won't give two hoots as to the reason a page doesn't render properly, she will just not use the browser if it can't render the page properly. So, in summary, it's not a matter of whether the developer should be punished for lazy coding, it's whether or not the end user should be punished because of lazy coding. As a web browser developer, I would want to make sure all pages render, regardless of code style.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version