ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

real reason chrome exist is to prevent microsoft from making a sucky browser

(1/3) > >>

urlwolf:
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080905_005415.html

Interesting hypothesis!

"What Google does not want is Microsoft creating a browser that sucks. Actually, Google doesn't mind if Microsoft's browser sucks. What they really don't want is Microsoft to make a browser that sucks and everyone ends up using it. And, if the IE8 beta shows us anything, making a really sucky web browser is Microsoft's true ambition."
--- End quote ---

Ehtyar:
I suppose it might have been easier to draw that conclusion if Chrome itself didn't suck  :P

Ehtyar.

urlwolf:
Why do you think Chrome suck?
Techically, it's a webkit-based browser. I don't see how that makes it suck.

SirSmiley:
I'd think google's more concerned about browser's coming with built in adblocking capabilities and restricted capabilities for customizing your search options.

Even when someone get's adblocking enabled in Chrome the search features are still beneficial for google. Although, I'm not impressed with Chrome in general and it won't be replacing my default browser anytime soon, it works really slick with their own services which makes it useful to me.

Grorgy:
Like most browsers i guess, it has its place and will be good for some things, others will be better at others.  Googlephobes will no doubt find reasons to loathe it, fan boys reasons to love it, most of us I think will probably use it if it does what we want it to do and maybe even just for google services. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version