topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: real reason chrome exist is to prevent microsoft from making a sucky browser  (Read 10017 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.pbs.org/c...20080905_005415.html

Interesting hypothesis!

"What Google does not want is Microsoft creating a browser that sucks. Actually, Google doesn't mind if Microsoft's browser sucks. What they really don't want is Microsoft to make a browser that sucks and everyone ends up using it. And, if the IE8 beta shows us anything, making a really sucky web browser is Microsoft's true ambition."

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I suppose it might have been easier to draw that conclusion if Chrome itself didn't suck  :P

Ehtyar.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why do you think Chrome suck?
Techically, it's a webkit-based browser. I don't see how that makes it suck.

SirSmiley

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd think google's more concerned about browser's coming with built in adblocking capabilities and restricted capabilities for customizing your search options.

Even when someone get's adblocking enabled in Chrome the search features are still beneficial for google. Although, I'm not impressed with Chrome in general and it won't be replacing my default browser anytime soon, it works really slick with their own services which makes it useful to me.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Like most browsers i guess, it has its place and will be good for some things, others will be better at others.  Googlephobes will no doubt find reasons to loathe it, fan boys reasons to love it, most of us I think will probably use it if it does what we want it to do and maybe even just for google services. 

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I never said my opinion had anything to do with it being WebKit based, though that does indirectly create some problems. The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well. This may be a feature few people are noticing, but it becomes a huge problem for hobbyists running small websites. This gives rise to the issue of yet another browser to support; with a hacked up WebKit, and a custom javascript engine, no one can say that Chrome will run any Safari code (there is also the issue of Safari not being supported in the first place. You also have the issue of Google's updater, which I won't go into any further than to say it's not open source, and it runs whenever Windows considers your computer to be idle. Options and user modifications are nothing compared to just about any other browser on the market, and then you also have to consider its vulnerability to several known and wild attacks.
My two cents.

Ehtyar.

SirSmiley

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah that updater annoys the crap out of me.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Ehtyar]: The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well.

But why go to that trouble? Web authoring software, including the pretty fantastic MS Expression Web, creates compliant W3C code. If you (not you personally) can't be bothered to compose a standards-compliant webpage/site, then Google shouldn't have to engineer around your mistakes.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Ehtyar]: The biggest WebKit based problem is its inability to render non-standards-compliant pages well.

But why go to that trouble? Web authoring software, including the pretty fantastic MS Expression Web, creates compliant W3C code. If you (not you personally) can't be bothered to compose a standards-compliant webpage/site, then Google shouldn't have to engineer around your mistakes.
I suppose you're right, from Google's point of view, however, as an end user, you expect them to do their best to render *all* pages on the internet, not just those that conform to the standards. As an end user, that makes up a part of why Google Chrome sucks.

Ehtyar.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Zaine, First, please don't attack me like you do on betanews for posting this opinion.

An end user doesn't care about whether a page is standards compliant, all they care about is that it works. They don't care if a developer is lazy, they just want the page to work. I know my 18 year old sister won't give two hoots as to the reason a page doesn't render properly, she will just not use the browser if it can't render the page properly. So, in summary, it's not a matter of whether the developer should be punished for lazy coding, it's whether or not the end user should be punished because of lazy coding. As a web browser developer, I would want to make sure all pages render, regardless of code style.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Because kids build web pages (or parts of pages) too, and often with hand written code that isn't standards compliant.

Not to mention a ton of blogs customized by beginners.

And a browser should be able to handle one of the most beautiful sites I have ever visited. (read it all and you will understand why I say that)

With 63 Errors and 168 warnings on just the main page, it's a billion times better than it used to be, back when he hand coded it all himself.

Any browser that can't handle that site belongs in the trash.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd just like to point out, despite the fact that it's contrary to my position in this thread, that I code all my pages by hand, and they are all three phase compliant. I may disagree with a browser that does not support non-compliant pages, though I personally very much recognize the necessity of them.

Ehtyar.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
the way I see it, google get 2 benefits..
1 is the googleupdater.exe that loads at startup in which they focus on unique I.P. hits as their marketing tool, and
2 is their convenience in using web browser

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Because kids build web pages (or parts of pages) too, and often with hand written code that isn't standards compliant.

Not to mention a ton of blogs customized by beginners.

And a browser should be able to handle one of the most beautiful sites I have ever visited. (read it all and you will understand why I say that)

With 63 Errors and 168 warnings on just the main page, it's a billion times better than it used to be, back when he hand coded it all himself.

Any browser that can't handle that site belongs in the trash.

App, I still cannot see why Bike Mike's site is your favorite.
I can relate to what he's doing, but not to the point of seeing it as one of the most beautiful sites on the web. Maybe one needs to understand multiple sclerosis to see why this is a feat?

Thanks

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
App, I still cannot see why Bike Mike's site is your favorite.
I can relate to what he's doing, but not to the point of seeing it as one of the most beautiful sites on the web. Maybe one needs to understand multiple sclerosis to see why this is a feat?

I guess you didn't read it all.

Mike was a victim of birth defects. Born blind in one eye, barely can see out of the other...deaf in one ear, wears a hearing aid in the other...facial deformities...mental retardation (mentally, I'd say he was no older than about 12, even though he is physically 38)

Has competed in Special Olympics, was an official Olympic Torch Bearer (regular Olympics 2002), was selected as an alternate torch bearer in 2004.

Everyone that has ever met him loves him. Restaurants have named sandwiches and dinners after him.

He dreams of some day being a DJ at a real radio station. He certainly knows his way around a control room of both TV & radio. (info not on the website: If he had been able to go to college, he would have majored in Mass Communications. He wanted to go, already had credits from high school towards his degree, basically ran our town's cable station, but no college wanted him.)

No matter what, he keeps chasing his dreams, always keeps a cheerful attitude, and setbacks mean nothing to him (and he sure has had his share over the years).

He's the poster child for ambition, persistence, optimism, enthusiasm, and determination....as well as kindness & generosity.

Coffee Cup thought enough of his original site to give him a copy of every application they made, for free, and tossed in a few T-shirts too.

If all you saw was some guy that rides a bike to raise money for multiple sclerosis, you really missed a lot.

He is one of the most beautiful people I have ever known....and that beauty is all over that website.