topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ShellLess file manager  (Read 10226 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ShellLess file manager
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:09 AM »
One may speculate on the name of today's $30 giveaway, ShellLess, and wonder about why we (= "I") never've heard of this before when we once talked so much about Explorer replacement programs. Because this is just what today's giveaway is about, replacing Explorer. I guess the name, ShellLess, is because it may be using Explorer in the same way Quizo does, but I don't KNOW. I have tested it for half an hour, and have nothing bad to say about it. It is nice and easy, and Well-known from the beginning. An extended Explorer, like Quizo, you might say - only, some features have been added, and   compared to Quizo   some features are missing.

http://www.giveawayo.../shellless-explorer/

Nowadays it becomes harder and harder to keep track of the files you have stored on your computer for the sole reason that the HDD capacity has increased considerably. It is obvious that you not only need time to find what you are looking for but also a lot of patience. In this type of situations, ShellLess comes to the rescue.

This simple yet powerful application is perfect for browsing the files on your compute. With its tabbed browsing feature, you can easily switch between different common operations and keep track of multiple files.

ShellLess.gifShellLess file manager

Some of the features:

Tabbed Multi-Panel Interface
Tabbed Multi-panels that allow you to easily drag and drop files from one location to another. This feature comes in handy when you need to move files from one place to several folders. There is no limit to the number of panels you can open so all you have to do is be sure you don't get confused.

Navigation Bar
The vista-like navigation bar is very easy to control, which gives the user fast access to parent folders of current browse path. Simply click on the button to navigate to that parent folder.

MRU/MFU Folder List
ShellLess Explorer remembers the files and folders that you have visited so that you can access them again in case you have forgotten their exact location. This can prove to be useful especially if you are moving files from one location to another or if you have closed the application by mistake.

Quick File Finder/Filter
Too many files to find what you want ? Can't remember full name of the file? Just type the keyword in the folder view and get all files that matches your keywords in no time at all.

Undo List For File Operation
Have you ever done something by accident and couldn't undo it? Well, with ShellLess you will no longer have that problem. It has the ability to undo any action that you have performed and that way you can never delete or misplace files or folders by mistake. You can easily select the action you have performed and undo it. It's that simple.

To-do File Cart
At some point all of us wanted to move files from one location to another but got so lost in browsing through files. With Todo Cart this will never happen again because you can simply drag and drop files that you want to work with into the cart area and then you can use it whenever you desire, regardless of your current browsing location.

Favorite Bar
Favorite Bar allows you to add your common places to favorite bar. With Favorite Bar you'll never click by click to navigate to the deep folders.
You can add folder of the tab to Favorite Bar via Right-click Menu of the tab.

History Record
All files and folders you have recently accessed are organized by day.
With this feature you can easyly review what you had accessed a few days ago

http://www.shellless...rks.com/overview.htm
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 04:12 AM by Curt »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ShellLess file manager
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:37 AM »
 So, the questions that go through my mind ...

How much of this does Dopus do?  :tellme: Can I be bothered to find out to check?  :-\
I already switched to using Q-Dir most of the time because I'm usually doing very simple things but use the 4 listers.
The features here do sound like things that I might use. Another download on its way ..

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:56 AM by Dormouse »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Curt, your questions are the same ones that ran through my mind earlier today. The forum seems to be generally positive about it. My other question is: what does ShellLess mean? I suspect that it means that it is independent of the windows shell (?) and thus can be run even if explorer.exe is on the fritz/frozen?

Anyway, I've downloaded it already, but haven't activated it yet. Might as well do that now...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Wrong, wrong, wrong, Darwin (heh, heh - that's been stated adamantly a time or two before!):

From the FAQ:

Why is ShellLess Explorer so similar with Windows Explorer?
ShellLess Explorer is Based on windows shell, so it's ultra easy to lean how to use it. You even need no help document.

So I am still puzzled by the name... Shellshocked, so to speak...

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for the heads up about ShellLess.

I never bothered with third-party file managers until Ubuntu (I dual boot with WinXP). Now I use Krusader. OTOH, the ShellLess GAOTD comments contain a link to NexusFile V, and I think I may be able to use it in WinXP.  8)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:13 AM by invenit »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 12:30 PM »
I don't think the name ShellLess is about the file manager, but the company's name.
This way > ShellLess® Explorer < may be a less confusing name. But I really don't know.
Anyway; I missed Quizo too much, so I have already moved back to XP's Explorer.

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 01:00 PM »
I don't think the name ShellLess is about the file manager, but the company's name.

Hmmm...I misread GAOTD's summary. I may take a closer look at ShellLess while the deal is still good.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:05 AM »
It's on Bits today... I wish I had seen it on when it was free. :(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 04:02 AM »
- don't be too sad  ;)  ShellLess Explorer is quite okay, nothing wrong with it, fair and useful, but that may be just about how long the story goes. You can have all of the features from elsewhere, most or all for free, if you search the web, and more important in my opinion, you can use Quizo , which you can't if you are using ShellLess Explorer. I liked using ShellLess, but I don't miss it a bit.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:04 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:13 AM »
ShellLess Explorer has been updated to version 1.2.4. I went to their page to look for What's New, but didn't find anything. Instead I came across this standard rebate offer I didn't know about:

Academic Use - Up to 50% off!

If you are an educator or student, we offer great discounts for you as well.

In order to qualify for an academic discount, you must submit the following information before the discount can be provided:

* Student's name
    * Name of School
    * School Address

The academic discount is only intended for non-commercial use only.
Contact Howard("sales",""); sales[at]shelllessworks[dot]com

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38 AM »
I've never used this file manager...I used to be obsessive in trying every file manager I came across. I guess I must be getting old.

Anyway...if anyone is still interested in this one I noticed that it's going to be coming up on Bits du Jour on April 23rd with a 40% discount.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 03:36 AM »
ShellLess Explorer is once again the giveaway of the day:
http://www.giveawayo...llless-explorer-124/
- still version 1.2.4

...  ShellLess Explorer is quite okay, nothing wrong with it, fair and useful, but ....