topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another Kodak Complaint  (Read 7366 times)

cap2008

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another Kodak Complaint
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:15 PM »
Another instance of a Kodak rip off .  Based on Kodak's advice I paid $85.60 up front to Kodak for repair of a two year old top of the line Easy Share Printer Dock Plus Series 3. Kodak promised me, in writing, that they would either repair the printer dock or replace it with an equivalent. Kodak's repair facility (a good company called Precision Camera Repair) told me that Kodak no longer provides repair parts for this two year old device.  Kodak then told me that Precision Camera would provide a replacement.  I called Precision Camera and they said they have never provided replacements if something could not be repaired and that Kodak has always provided replacements for non-repairable items.  I went back to Kodak and they offered me a $79 dollar bottom of the line replacement that has none of the features (such as bluetooth) that I need.  I told Kodak that I would refuse their cheap replacement offer and told them I wanted my old printer dock back and a refund for the repair.  Finally, a so-called "supervisor" somewhere in India told me at least 10 times that Kodak, never, ever makes a refund and that I was stuck with their offer of a cheap unit.  She admitted Kodak still produces and sells the printer dock model I sent in.  At first this supervisor lied and said the model was no longer in production, but I contacted their on-line sales store and was told by a Kodak sales agent that they have plenty of stock and they are sill manufacturing the Printer Dock Plus Series 3.  After I caught the "supervisor" woman in a lie, she admitted that they still produce and sell my model of printer dock but that they were never going to "give" me once of those and that I was going to get their model G610 which is a cheap, entry level printer dock.

Kodak equipment is unreliable.  Kodak customer support is abysmal.  Stay way from Kodak - buy Sony, Canon, HP or just about any other manufacturer but stay away from Kodak.  Kodak will die a slow death and they deserve it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another Kodak Complaint
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:26 AM »
Wow. That is a dreadful story. I'd start writing and blogging. Letters to Consumer magazines might get you somewhere as would posting in discussion groups such as this and the Kodak forums, if they exist.

Don't give up and good luck!

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:15 AM »
The absolute worst part about it is you shouldn't HAVE to go that route.  How many people have they ripped off this way because they decided the 610 was "Good Enough".  Even though they bought a superior product, the warranty guarantees, they are settling for the cheaper product under the warranty.  That isn't right.  If you have to go that route, I would push for more than what you have or continue to tell your story even after resolution.  If they try a cease and desist, force them to buy it from you!  They were the ones who started this, they need to make it right for you to quiet down.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about this terrible experience. :-(

If you paid that money with a credit card you should be able to contact your credit card provider and dispute the charge. You paid for something you didn't receive, so they should clear it up for you. I did that last November with something I ordered online (not related to Kodak) and never received. Customer support wouldn't even answer my e-mails. Be sure to do it quickly as these things usually work better the sooner they're taken care of.

I'd also suggest get back on the phone with Kodak and tell them that they're going to have to make and exception and give you a refund if they don't give you what you paid for. The thing about Indians in phone support is that they're really good at following directions/scripts, so maybe they're required to tell you these things to try to get you to give up on it even though they really can get you a refund. I wouldn't put much past Kodak these days.

cap2008

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:22 PM »
Sorry to hear about this terrible experience. :-(

If you paid that money with a credit card you should be able to contact your credit card provider and dispute the charge. You paid for something you didn't receive, so they should clear it up for you. I did that last November with something I ordered online (not related to Kodak) and never received. Customer support wouldn't even answer my e-mails. Be sure to do it quickly as these things usually work better the sooner they're taken care of.

I'd also suggest get back on the phone with Kodak and tell them that they're going to have to make and exception and give you a refund if they don't give you what you paid for. The thing about Indians in phone support is that they're really good at following directions/scripts, so maybe they're required to tell you these things to try to get you to give up on it even though they really can get you a refund. I wouldn't put much past Kodak these days.

I took your advice, but rather than call -- I sent an email.  Talking with the Indian customer service center was getting me nowhere other than very frustrated. 

I sent Kodak an email letting them know I would refuse the G610 and would reverse the charges on my credit card if they sent me anything except a Printer Dock Series 3 plus.  I could hardly believe it, they air expressed a Printer Dock Series 3 to my house and it arrived today.  Even included a whole new set of peripherals and more than enough paper and a dye sublimation catridge that will more than make up for all the paper and cartridge shots I wasted trying to diagnose the problem.  In the meantime; I bought a Canon Selphy 760 Dye sublimation photo printer -- I know the Kodak will die an early death -- the other two did.  Upon examination - the Canon printer and Kodak printers share the same engine and paper track.  The main difference is that Canon uses a more sophisticated paper tray preventing exit jams and promoting more reliable paper entries.  The Canon has less features (ie Bluetooth), variable print modes and won't charge my two Kodak cameras ... but I can work around those two problems ... and the Canon cost me $70 at Walmart.  So ... I'm ahead.  If the Indian folks had more flexibility or the customer service center was more connected to stateside supply availability/logistics there would be more satisfied customers.  Nevertheless ... given the many other low end choices for digital photography and lack of innovation from Kodak ... I can see them ditching the low end as time goes on and their profit margins continue to shrink.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:41 PM »
Good for you, cap2008! I'm glad this was resolved to your satisfaction. I'm going to remember the e-mail trick  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:10 AM »
I wish the e-mail trick worked for me. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see you had your issue taken care of. :)