topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Vista suffering from FUD?  (Read 20552 times)

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vista suffering from FUD?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 01:52 AM »
steeladept, thanks for the info. Looking them up in Wikipedia, it seems they have some legal issues with Apple. Hope that's taken cared of soon.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on them, though I would prefer to build my own hardware and install everything from bare metal.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 03:44 AM »
Don't want to discourage you but unless the monopoly authorities in various countries sink their teeth into Apple for uncompetitive practices I think Apple will pursue them until the crack of Doom and ultimately they have enough money to win. Having said that the monopoly authorities around the world have only had partial success against MS (which is genuinely a monopoly with over 90% of the market) - I can't see them bothering with Apple as they have such a tiny share of the market (last time I looked it was something like 5% of the world PC market). Effectively Apple computers are a bit of a novelty on the world stage so no regulator is going to spend a lot of time worrying about them.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 04:17 AM »
I agree with you, Carol. And if Psystar gets into legal troubles with Apple, its cost of doing business will go up, which will have to be passed to the consumers unless they can win it quickly in court.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 05:16 AM by mwang »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 06:57 AM »
[stoic joker]: ...that only goes to prove that half of the "Bad Press" that Vista has gotten is due to idiots like HP that love to gadget & garbage up a machine to "Add Value" (BS...) to a machine before foisting it on a poor (unsuspecting) consumer.

Quick thoughts:
(1) With any OS, there's give and take, love and hate, i.e., "If only it did this, (or didn't do that);

(2) Vista SP1 is the version I wish Microsoft would have released in Jan.'07 because of its stability;

(3) Stoic Joker's experience is true to my own -- when HP or Dell installs Vista for me, it's a horrid experience of navigating crapware, autostart dumps, and popup registrations I never wanted. And when I install Vista x64 myself, I can make that baby stand up and sing with a couple of hours of tweaks.

(4) Seinfeld ain't helping. Nor does Mojave. Nor do I need humor or Apple's-so-jumped-the-shark snark by actor Justin Long. Just show me why Vista is better than the two other alternatives. That's all.

(5) Speed it up. Fix Windows Explorer. Fix UAC. Give us the old solitaire. Save $300 million on ads.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02 AM »
PS: I think a lot of the original Vista FUD was Microsoft's fault. Remember the EULA that read if you change any component on your system, you have to buy another copy? Kartal, et al. just pointed out some severe weaknesses this week in Google Chrome's license, too. At some point, these companies have to tell the lawyers to sit down and shut the hell up. They're law-speak is costing the marketing department millions!

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Give us the old solitaire.

I'm a Vista convert, switched to Vista x64 when I got my newest PC and love it. Had to copy the old version of solitaire from my XP box though, the Vista one is awful :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Had to copy the old version of solitaire from my XP box though, the Vista one is awful

Ah... this is possible? That comment has set the little wheels spinning over here...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 01:17 AM »
That and Symantec needs to line up the NIS team in front of a firing squad, and then never do that again. Christ What Were They Thinking?!?!

What's this about?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 06:29 AM »
Presumably Eóin has had problems with Symantec on Vista (and who hasn't had problems with them at times on any version of Windows?).

I am still trying to persuade people that just because practically every computer comes with Symantec preinstalled they don't have to keep it and they don't have to respond to the nagware with a credit card!