ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vista suffering from FUD?

<< < (4/7) > >>

Darwin:
Flaky indeed, especially with its new KMS licensing mechanism. Basically it requires my computer to check in with a special KMS server every 3 months to be certified.
-mwang (September 05, 2008, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
]

Is this due to corporate/academic licensing or is this a requirement for all Vista users? If it's the latter, good to know!

mwang:
Is this due to corporate/academic licensing or is this a requirement for all Vista users? If it's the latter, good to know!
-Darwin (September 05, 2008, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not an expert, but I think it's for site licensing only.

Darwin:
-Darwin (September 05, 2008, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not an expert, but I think it's for site licensing only.
-mwang (September 05, 2008, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, thanks. I figured it wasn't a general requirement, otherwise I would have been hearing more about it! Thanks for clarifiying that.

On a peripherally related note, check out Apple's Family Pack licence scheme on OS-X (and take note MS!):

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By 'household' we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.
--- End quote ---

PS the Family Pack is $189 on Amazon  :(

Stoic Joker:
The KMS licensing requirement was created due to the XP era corporate keys being swapped around faster than a whore at a viking festival.

...and that is the only place they're used/required.

Darwin:
The KMS licensing requirement was created due to the XP era corporate keys being swapped around faster than a whore at a viking festival.

...and that is the only place they're used/required.
-Stoic Joker (September 05, 2008, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

Ha, ha, thank you for the chuckle and for clarifying that. Stoic Joker, eh? Well named!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version