ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vista suffering from FUD?

<< < (3/7) > >>

jgpaiva:
Just forgot something: also, if you have a tablet pc, it has HUGE improvements over XP, it's a breeze to work with.

Darwin:
But I still hate it when it doesn't work -- when it suddenly decides I'm using an illegal copy and locks me out. (It happened twice here.)
-mwang (September 05, 2008, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK - that's scary! Of course, nothing to fear if it can be resolved, but it's ridiculous to think that legitimate users (ie ME! US!) may be locked out of their systems because of flaky copyright protection software. That the end user is considered guilty (and locked out of their own system, I presume) until they prove themselves to be innocent is egregious. I say: M$, go to a single, or at most dual, version distribution (one for servers and the other for the rest of the unwashed masses) and take your cue from Apple WRT pricing: flood the market with $99-$149 copies of Vista that will serve dual duty - upgrading earlier versions to Vista's goodness or creating fresh installs on new harddrives. Drop the activation nonsense. Yes, people will steal copies (hint: even with the antipiracy features in place, they're already "stealing" XP and Vista. Illustration: I know a number of people - all teenagers - who are running pirated copies of XP. None of them to my knowledge has yet had a problem) but most people are honest and will ante up $99 or $149 to get the latest OS. Sit back and watch your profits soar...

OK Rant over (and I really do like Vista  :-[).

Listen! I can hear Zaine aprroaching... gallump, Gallump, GAllump <horse whinnies>, GALlump, GALLump, GALLUmp, GALLUMp...

EDIT: couldn't let the typos go...

Edvard:
;D

Trust me, I'm firmly in Zaine's camp, I'm just trying to be a fair sport. The OS business is obviously a tough one, and I find little joy in seeing the enemy take a sucker punch from behind.

Feels kind of like shouting "Are you guys OK over there?" after the cannon smoke clears...

Just forgot something: also, if you have a tablet pc, it has HUGE improvements over XP, it's a breeze to work with.
-jgpaiva (September 05, 2008, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's what I've heard. Another case where I'd happily accept Vista... :tellme:

mwang:
OK - that's scary! Of course, nothing to fear if it can be resolved, but it's ridiculous to think that legitimate users (ie ME! US!) may be locked out of their systems because of flaky copyright protection software.-Darwin (September 05, 2008, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Flaky indeed, especially with its new KMS licensing mechanism. Basically it requires my computer to check in with a special KMS server every 3 months to be certified. Usually it's done automatically, not a problem. But problems could arise when, e.g.,

1. my notebook was near the 3-month check point when I took it out for a trip, and couldn't get internet connection again before the grace period expired; or

2. I did get internet connection in time, but some firewall craziness prevented it from connecting to the KMS server; or

3. there's no firewall problem, but the KMS server happened to go down; or

4. I did a clean restore from a backup image taken more than 3 months ago.

The last one was what actually happened here, though I never really figured out it's because the imaging was done before the first authentication or because it's done too long ago, or both. It was resolved alright -- by reinstalling everything.

Darwin:
I'm just trying to be a fair sport. The OS business is obviously a tough one, and I find little joy in seeing the enemy take a sucker punch from behind.

Feels kind of like shouting "Are you guys OK over there?" after the cannon smoke clears...
-Edvard (September 05, 2008, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I feel very conflicted most of the time. I'm making an effort to join the Linux camp but am actually having difficulty getting either Xubuntu or Ubuntu 8.0.4 installed on any of the three machines (8 years, 4 years, and 1 month old) that I have available to me. Actually, I do have a fourth choice: my circa 2001 iBook... Hmmm... hadn't thought of that until I sat here writing this...

Anyway, the point is that I'm upgrading the aforementioned iBook to Tiger (from whatever it is - Jaguar, I think - it's at 10.2.8 at the moment) and have Win2k, WinXP and Vista at my disposal. Although I've dabbled with Linux in the past, I'd really like to become more familiar with it... I think that flexibility is going to be essential in the coming years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version