ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows based web server

(1/2) > >>

techidave:
I have been searching this forum to see if web server software has ever been discused  but haven't been able to find anything.

I am looking for something that our school can use that will allow us to use the latest technologies such as Java, Flash, cgi, php, etc.  something that is capable of RSS or podcast would be a nice extra benefit.  It needs to run on a Windows OS though.

Sambar Server software has come highly recommended to me but I don't think it is capable of all the other stuff.  Is there some open source or freeware or perhaps even low cost software out there that would fit the bill??

what kind of hardware requirements should I be looking at?  Should I use something on the upper end or would a lower end AMD Duron 1.2 work ok?

thanks,
dave

Ehtyar:
Why, Apache of course. I can't imagine your first recommendation was anything else :S

Ehtyar.

techidave:
That's because I am not a web designer and do try to stay out of this area but...  I have been pushing to find a different host for our website Pawnee Heights Tigers for a long time now.  I believe our computer teacher is finally starting to realize how restricted we really are at this time.

So to change it, it may have to come from me to show them the solution.    :(

Forgive my ignorance here, but is Apache easy to setup and maintain?

Ehtyar:
I can configure Apache in my sleep, but that's because I've done it about a thousand times. Some windows users have issues with text-based configuration, and if you are one of these, then you will have problems with Apache. However, Apache's documentation is second to none; you can rest assured that no matter what you wish to know, it will be very easy to find. For a quick overview, have a look here and here. You can also purchase applications to do the config from a GUI, though I would recommend against it, as it's almost certain the GUI will not offer the granularity of the text-based configuration itself.

Ehtyar.

Shades:
XAMPP

Free LAMP but then for Windows. Download the 7-zip version, it only requires unpacking (in a root folder) and you have immediately a working Apache 2.0, MysQL 5 and PHP 5 integrated. Some extra's like a mailserver are included as well.

The original intent for the package is development, not hosting. So the only thing to do is re-configuring Apache for web use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version