ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

[How To] Set keyboard shortcuts in Google Chrome

(1/2) > >>

sri:
Hi guys,

As you already know Google Chrome does not yet offer customizable keyboard shortcuts. In the mean time, we can use AutoHotKey for setting keyboard shortcuts to common tasks like switching to previous and next tabs, going back and forward in the history, closing and un-doing last closed tab. Function keys can also be mapped for these actions.

I have written about it in a blog post. If interested, check it out.

Thanks to Lanux.

urlwolf:
I tried it, but the shortcuts are not helping. If I type an url, I want the shortcuts to be off (otherwise, it closes my tab if I type a 'c' for example). Is this the behavior you intended?

sri:
Hi urlwolf, did you read the Important Note section of my blog post?

urlwolf:
obviously, I didn't. But this makes it a showstopper for me. maybe there's a way to find what kind of window the mouse is over at a particular time? I don't know ahk well enough to say; the autoIT spy that comes with ahk does give you that kind of info. If chrome doesn't change much, it may be possible to autodetect.

sri:
ClassNN value of Chrome's address bar is: Chrome_AutocompleteEdit1

I am a novice at programming but will try to modify the .ahk so that the keys don't work when ClassNN = Chrome_AutocompleteEdit1.

By the way, I've updated the script so that CAPS lock will open a new tab in Chrome. Works even when Chrome is not running or not the active application. If you want CAPS lock to work again, simply press Shift+CAPS. Shift+CAPS toggles between default functionality of the CAPS lock and tab opening in Chrome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version