ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you manage your email?

<< < (4/14) > >>

mwang:
I also keep all my mail since the mid 90s, sans spam. I started out with Eudora and Agent, then OE, The Bat, Becky and now Thunderbird. (Tried Opera's M2 once, but it handled Chinese mail poorly.)

It used to be a pain to switch mail client, for converting mail database was difficult, especially when many MUA didn't really adhere to standards.

Now I no longer worry about such things, for I have a mail server for myself, on a Linux box. With IMAP, I can now retrieve mail with whatever mail client I like at the moment. I use mostly Thunderbird, but Becky still does certain things better.

I use a 3-account sets for regular mail, one public (A) and two private (B & C). A is just a front. When mail for A arrives, my server deliver it to B & C. B is for regular uses. I keep a small part of mail on it, filed into relevant folders -- family, office, etc. Most messages are discarded after being read and dealt with. Old kept messages are regularly purged. So Account B is always mean and lean, with important recent mail I could find easily.

Account C is for archive. Outgoing messages are bcc'ed to C as well. C keeps everything, one folder per year, and the folders are duplicated by Thunderbird in local folders on my desktop. They not only serve as backups (though the server is regularly backed up, too), but also allow Archivarius to index them. When I couldn't find an old message on account B, I search with Archivarius, which is very fast!

Spam is dealt with on the server, too, with Spam Assassin, which is pretty good for larger servers, but even better for a dedicated server, for it can be trained and configured very precisely.

I also create other accounts when I need to register an email address with some online service, but don't want to get spam. Mail to those addresses is never really delivered.

Curt:
Ah yes - forgot about the Unread Messages view. Indispensible  :Thmbsup: I have it set to display my messages organized by folders...
-Darwin (September 05, 2008, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

You also forgot to check the number of posts you have created...
 - this was number 4444 !!!! 

Keep them coming, Darwin!  :up:

mwang:
You also forgot to check the number of posts you have created...
 - this was number 4444 !!!!
-Curt (September 05, 2008, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm, here DC says it's post no. 4453 from Darwin. Not that I have any problem with either amount though. Keep them coming indeed.

urlwolf:
I use Opera M2. Great productivity tool -as long as you don't need PGP-. Does IMAP fine.

Darwin:
Heh, heh, thanks Curt (this one's for you!).

mwang - it's because I've been posting quite a bit of drivel today...  :-[ and the post count has been updated since I made that post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version