ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlook 2007 isn't so bad (EDIT, yes it is)

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
After dealing with Novell Groupwise for the past 3 years, this week my work finally switched to Outlook 2007.  And I couldn't be happier.  Using Groupwise was a truly miserable experience, and that program is an absolute embarrassment.  Let me repeat...absolute embarrassment.  No company on the level of Novell should be putting out a product that miserable.  It seriously feels like something out of Windows 3.1.  And I've never been a fan of Outlook, having been a long time Pegasus Mail user and currently a The Bat! user, but Outlook 2007 is infinitely better than Groupwise.

In fact, chalk it up to ignorance, but Outlook 2007 is quite nice!  It's very powerful, pretty customizeable, I think the GUI is nice.  I really don't have a problem with it.  If our company is willing to pay for it and the Exchange servers, then I'm happy...very happy with it.

Josh:
I love outlook 2007, in fact, I would use it IF it supported IMAP in a way which didn't require me to expand my hundreds of folders everytime I start the damn program!!!!! That is the one annoyance for me. It saves folder layouts for POP3, Exchange, and other email connections, BUT NOT IMAP!

Carol Haynes:
I like Outlook 2007 but why is it so slow compared to earlier incarnations? For me it is VERY slow to load and downloading POP email makes the app freeze until it has finished - and it has done that since it was first installed. I deliberately keep my PST file reasonably small (hiving off all email to a MailStore archive after 60 days and deleting it in Outlook) and perform integrity checks and compaction on the PST file regularly so it keeps it in order.

I think it may have something to do with Business Contacts Manager (which was included with my version). It seems that loading SQL databases and starting services is slow but why it should affect the whole application all the time I really don't know.

SKesselman:
Hi Carol,

If by chance you don't find BCM in Outlook 2007 useful (I  couldn't tell from your post), you may want to consider uninstalling it.
I got rid of BCM within a day of installing it. It just ruined Outlook. It ran like it wasn't even ready to be a beta release, let alone an expensive addition to Office. I was really disappointed.

I don't remember if speed was an issue or not, but now, Outlook runs very fast for me (and my file is huge).

Good luck with this, I know it can be frustrating!

Darwin:
Just to note - when I bought Office 2003 Pro I installed BCM... Lasted about 3 hours - it made Outlook impossible to use (slowed it down, it crashed often, etc.). I removed it and have been blissfully happy with Outlook ever since (now on Outlook 2007; didn't install BCM when I upgraded).

YMMV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version