ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easy remote access to my home pc?

<< < (4/9) > >>

40hz:
CrossLoop - Seems like the best choice except that I would have to call my parents up every time I want to use it.
-alivingspirit (September 03, 2008, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interestingly enough, that is the main reason why I use it with Mom. I can't convince her that she should use a password and log on to her desktop. She just wants to turn it on an go.

Which goes to show - one product's limitation is another product's feature! ;D

4wd:
Interestingly enough, that is the main reason why I use it with Mom. I can't convince her that she should use a password and log on to her desktop. She just wants to turn it on an go.

Which goes to show - one product's limitation is another product's feature! ;D
-40hz (September 04, 2008, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't consider not using a password a limitation - the opposite in fact.  In some cases having a password is a liability.

In XP, for accounts without a password you have to be physically present to use the account - this includes admin accounts.  Having a password allows remote login.

If your remote access security is not up to scratch then having a password is bad, imho.

CrossLoop, (or some other remote program requiring physical interaction), is a far more secure way of doing things.

Having said that though, I run a headless downloader that the only access to is via RDP because it was more responsive and better integrated - then again, there's nothing on it I can't afford to lose.

rabbitcatcher:
I have not tried this yet but I plan to very soon.

www.mikogo.com

There is an article in DC about it here, that's how I found it! ;)

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=12956.0

This product looks to be very good to me. I particularly like the integration with Skype so there can be a conversation while control is going on.

For paid software I can absolutely swear by Radmin. If you want high end with file transfer, etc. you cannot beat it and for what it does it is very reasonable $.

http://www.radmin.com/

If anyone is using Mikoga now please post their experiences, etc.

Good luck.

Carol Haynes:
Excellent for giving someone a hand but I don't think you can use it for remote access.

Keilup:
I've been using Logmein free for a while now to access my home PC and it has worked great.  Only issue I ran into was that when Zonalarm poppup up a window, I couldn't click on anything from remote.  Just figured out today that I need to turn off the Zonealarm client protection feature.

Another one I was testing today was www.remobo.com.  It's currently in beta, but all functions are free and people seem to like it.  Supposedly it'll go pay eventually, but a free version remain with reduced features.  I ran into the Zonealarm popup issue so my testing has paused until I can get back to my remote PC.

Mikogo looks very similar to Remobo so I definitely will try that one out next.

Keilup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version