ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AntiVirus with decent anti-spyware (realtime) detection

<< < (5/9) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks Grorgy  :Thmbsup: I'm going to try it later this week. I've been trying to update bloody VIPRE all day and it just keeps timing out  :down: This has survived a reboot, so I assume it is a server problem. Not very encouraging! Thanks for the heads up about the educational licensing... Alas, I find myself no longer an educator or a student  :(

dantheman:
Eset in Canada apparently grant a discount to non-profits.
With AVG8 taking the bloatware street our group plans on going with Eset as soon as our present contract is over.

I've been testing it for three weeks now and it is just fine. Low on resources and quite fast to update and scan. Very non-intrusive. Can't wait for the changeover!

Darwin:
Awesome! Thank you for posting that, dantheman  :Thmbsup: I'm downloading it myself as I write this.

dantheman:
My pleasure Darwin!

Let us know how it works out for you ay! 

;)

Darwin:
ESET installed with no trouble (after I had to manually un-install VIPRE - all it's uninstaller did was uninstall the uninstaller!). Unfortunately, I'm not too impressed with ESET's scanning speed on my Win2k notebook (admittedly, this is not surprising given the notebooks EIGHT year old specs  :o). It strikes me as being about the same as BitDefender*. On balance, I am seriously considering just re-installing BitDefender. At least I won't have to pay for it for about 16 months!

In fairness, ESET IS most likely quicker but there are only two scanning options - Standard and Custom. I should probably tweak it before making a decision... - I've just been running the Standard scan and it's been about an hour and it's only at 52%...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version