ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AntiVirus with decent anti-spyware (realtime) detection

<< < (2/9) > >>

Darwin:
Note - I re-read my original post and have edited it for clarity. I've indicated the "edit" with EDIT: in the text of that post.

Darwin:
Just had Webroot run a scheduled daily Quick scan on my system and, being tied up with other things, completely forgot about it. Had a negligible effect on system performance.

Josh - do let us know how your test goes. I've come to realise that AV and AS applications are truly unique in how they run on each system and for each user. I know that WEbroot has had some bad press because of resource utilization yet I've had no problems with it. Likewise, I've heard bad things about SpyDoctor yet have a friend running the latest version on an anaemic P4 and 512MB RAM without any trouble. Weird.

Curt:
I (too) would recommend Eset NOD32, only.

Josh:
Tried it, Didn't detect spyware in an accurate manner and it ate up too much processing power.

Darwin:
Ouch! I'm slipping - the computer I've been talking about has a 120 GB harddrive with two partitions (C and E). C had windows and programs on it while E has My Documents and my Outlook and IE settings folders. C is a 28GB partition with 22GB of data on it while E is an 83GB partition with 61GB of data on it. From what I can see, both Webroot and VIPRE scan the entire drive (ie both partitions) during Deep scan but only select "bits" of C during Quick scan. Thus, I'll have to set Webroot up to do a custom, rather than quick, scan from now on so that it hits my Outlook and IE folders.

EDIT: Update - I have no idea where Webroot is scanning during Quick scans. I assume that it does scan Outlook and IE but can't be sure and have set up a custom scan to do it instead.

Anyway, main point was to give a frame of reference for the scans I wrote about earlier this morning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version