ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- key reasons for its debut

<< < (9/13) > >>

Ehtyar:
And here we go again... oh hell how I hate there dudes who think Firefox have done all those things first and alone... eh... how about opening your eyes and look even futher.... Alot of those "firefox innovations" are actually been first in Opera and then copypasted to Firefox as new innovations... sounds like Microsoft to me in this scenario... and when I have to compare Firefox to Microsoft, things are getting pretty ugly...
-simakuutio (September 03, 2008, 11:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
You seem to be skipping a key difference. The only real part of Firefox Mozilla has claimed to be innovative is the addon system. It is via this mechanism that the Firefox community develop functionality for Firefox that may mimic that found in another browser, and even then, most often the developer will highlight the fact that the feature he/she has added is found in another browser. When Microsoft develop a browser that even remotely encourages community development, then come back and make your case.

Ehtyar.

mwang:
In contrast to belief that the civilization(mainly western civilization) is going forward and getting better, I would say that civilization is just getting worse and dim.-kartal (September 03, 2008, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the thoughtful reflection, and I appreciate your passion. Passion, however, gets the better of us sometimes.

Indeed Google is pushing the envelope again with Chrome, and indeed we should be worried "because Google has become a data octopus." I'm worried. I don't use GMail; I run my own mail server.

And yet, there're many "philosophical sides of life." When it comes to science and technologies and other progresses in human history, blind rejection could be as unhelpful as blind trust. Yes, our ways of life are changing with all these rapid advancement in data mining technologies, but it doesn't necessarily mean the civilization is doomed, just different.

Come to think of it, true innovations have to be disruptive by definition, and disruptions cause unease, even the Enlightenment you talked so fondly was once thought to have evil impact on the society, but we know how that one turned out, don't we? (And no, I don't consider Chrome or even Google in the same order of things, far from it.)

mwang:
Alot of those "firefox innovations" are actually been first in Opera and then copypasted to Firefox as new innovations ... -simakuutio (September 03, 2008, 11:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was an admirer of Opera; I paid for it. Before that I admired Netscape, and I have fond memories with Cello. (You guys remember this one?) They all borrowed from Mosaic, ideas if not code. And in my mind, the true heroes are Tim Berners-Lee, Vint Cerf, John von Neumann, and Alan Turing, among others.

Progress is made with the help of many. The mouse on my desk is great (not perfect, but great). It got here because Xerox PARC invented it, Apple popularized it, Logitech improved on it, and I paid for it.

Just as Ehtyar said, Firefox excels with its open architecture. It gains its popularity thanks to that. With that success it gets to challenge IE a bit. I don't see why this is upsetting to Opera fans.

zridling:
kartal, while I believe you are absolutely correct on the larger, philosophical issue of privacy, you didn't answer my question: What injustices exactly are you accusing Google of? I said that "Google has never correlated user data with user identity, or with the search terms people input." And I certainly didn't dismiss 'meaningful' privacy concerns in a childish way.

You responded only with a hypothetical: "Sooner or later Google will abuse its power." Again, the power with which you ascribe to Google is available by other means, including just about any individual with the know-how and tenacity to find things out [about me or you]. But Google is just one search service. For years I was portrayed as a woman by some guy in London for some weird reason on MSN search. Despite my attempts, Microsoft wouldn't remove the reference. Made me kinda crazy about it. And to this day, I get accused of being a programmer all around various forums. That's very flattering, but the most I've ever done is build a bare webpage and do a tiny amount of scripting.

I'm just saying. Google came out with a new browser that could be a breath of fresh air. It ain't the end of the world, nor the end of Firefox. Don't use their services if you feel -- or have evidence of -- any privacy violations. No, they're not inviolate and should not be trusted. I contend that NO corporation or government should ever be trusted without independent, thorough regulation. I just wish we lived in that world!  ;)

app103:
Chrome is not about access to your data on any platform, any device.

The mere fact that it will never support my current OS is proof of that.

It's not about providing those that need a fast safe minimalistic browser the most, with another option. I need fast safe and minimalistic and I can't run it.

It's not about running Adobe AIR apps. They already run without Chrome. They don't need this. They don't run in a browser.

So what is Chrome about? So far, it's about Javascript, and how fast it can run in a browser. Google has plans on creating stuff...websites... that will never work in any existing browser. It could be your webmail if you are a gmail user.

I hope you aren't too dependent on any Google service and running an OS that will never be supported by Chrome. You could end up finding yourself locked out of your account.

I only hope Google gets what Microsoft got for all the same crazy crap. Remember MSJVM, ActiveX, JScript, VBScript, and the rest? It all created a browser nightmare and a lot of browser incompatibility with sites designed just for IE.

Not sure what I am talking about? Would you like to play some JScript games coded specifically for IE, in Firefox or Opera...or maybe Chrome? Good luck!

You may be seeing similar results when you try to access certain Google services, in the future, specifically written to run only with Google's custom javascript engine, unless you run the browser of Google's choice instead of the browser of your own choice. I think old time Netscape users can relate to what I am saying. They had to keep IE handy, because of the same kind of crap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version