ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of newbie questions regarding software

<< < (20/23) > >>

Paul Keith:
Well, a proper systray program is often designed with speed, snappiness and direct to the point interface in mind. Some might call it minimalistic and straight to the point although I've seen exceptions.

A good example of these are Adobe Air apps. Many can eat memory, are not portable but the user interface can be less busier than an actual program tweak to do more advanced stuff. This is something where MLO (when I've tried it before in the past) doesn't achieve, interface aside.

That isn't to say such a full program can't be used but I really think it's better that the program only contains a few core features to manage to do lists of these sort and nothing else. The more content it allows in and the more this program strives to be a full to do list, the longer it takes to separate these lists with ones that you don't need repeated and even though it's still possible to navigate through it, eventually things might bog down to the point that you're much faster picking up an index card, writing several similar copies of the list on it and using it when you need to.

It really should be for lists that you find you need rewriting often enough but not often enough that you couldn't just abuse the copy-paste mechanism and have them structured in such a way that doesn't require an overt digging of all the other information that you have as to provide the snappiness in accessing several of these lists because without that snappiness, you could just simply write it down on Notepad and copy paste it and it would be like spending around the same time digging through a much more advanced notetaker/to do list program.

tomos:
... you're much faster picking up an index card, writing several similar copies of the list on it and using it when you need to.
-Paul Keith (November 20, 2008, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

forgot to post this yesterday:
how about printer/paper !?!

for a while (last years GOE experiment) I printed a daily schedule PDF template, & I added in (to PDF) tasks that had to be done daily. Didnt suit my needs in the end but point being you could probably figure out some method that would avoid writing/rewriting

Paul Keith:
The problem with that is I don't have much space for paper and I don't keep them organized. You should see how many mini-notebooks I have with pages full of text in them that I ended up never revisiting again.

There's also the case of a lack of central place to store them so I'm always hitting myself on the head for throwing that 500 page paper away.

Index cards would be worse. They're small, easy to misplace and they're addictively disposable by nature. Not exactly the type of set up for something pending.

tomos:
I printed on A4 pages and got myself in & out trays  :P

Paul Keith:
Yeah that would be along the lines of too much space for me.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version